Thread: Violent Games As Great Teachers

Blog Entries

General games Violent Games As Great Teachers

Gamepolitics and the site Physorg have an in-depth look at a study (pdf) done on the educational nature of violent games. While the implications of the study reinforce the old 'games lead to violent kids' saw, the authors of the research stress that they're more interested in talking up the benefits of games in education.

"When considered in the light of what is known to be the "best practices" of education, violent video games appear to be exemplary teachers of aggression ... It should therefore be no surprise that video games are excellent teachers, both of educational content and of violent content... The fact that learning occurs regardless of whether the effects are intentional or unintentional is irrelevant, and should make us more thoughtful about designing games and choosing games for children and adolescents to play."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/19/2015255

DCEmu Rookie

I'm only halfway through the PDF, but I saw something that I think is funny, so I'll post it here:
    Violent video games are set in many contexts: some are set in historical times, some are modern, some are very realistic, some are cartoonish, some are futuristic, etc. The games also employ a variety of tools: hand-to-hand combat, small arms, military weapons, laser guns, and one popular game even uses a golf club as a lethal weapon. The common feature among all of these different games and contexts is that violence is the solution to whatever problem the gamer/student faces.
    I'll reword this, in case anybody didn't see teh funy:
    Flight simulation video games are set in many contexts: some have a fantasy setting, some are modern, some are very realistic, some are cartoonish, some are futuristic, etc. The games also employ a variety of flying apparati: wings, dragons, military jets, spaceships, and one popular game even uses octopuses as a mode of airborne transportation. The common feature among all of these different games and contexts is that flying is the solution to whatever problem the gamer/student faces.

^Eyedunno: heres another good one
    The games also employ a variety of ways to die: falling, being eaten, being blown up, being vaporized, and one popular game even uses black-holes as a mode of death. The common feature among all of these different games and contexts is that dieing is the solution to whatever problem the gamer/student faces.

DCEmu Legend

Enough already! Give the human race some credit, geez.

We are supposedly the most advanced and intelligent species of life on earth right?

Well then understand that we as humans are not going to play a video game and then try to commit that same over-the-top graphic violence in real life to real people.

A lot of this nonsense probably originated from irresponsible parents who took the easy way out and blamed this and that video game for their screw-up kids.

Are we that pathetic and weak-minded as a species to be so easily manipulated?

Cooking/baking video games are set in many contexts: some are set in kitchens, some are on patios, some are set in the virtual residence of online buddies, etc. The games also employ a variety of tools: fish slices, whisks, spatulas, sieves, and one popular game even uses a desert spoon as a culinary utensil. The common feature among all of these different games and contexts is that cooking is the solution to whatever problem the gamer/student faces.

There's no way you can get an adolescent to play an educational game, so this idea is pretty dumb

Grrr, reading this makes me want to SMASH THEM!

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Grrr, reading this makes me want to SMASH THEM!
    I know, right? Just reading this makes me want to frag them with my Redeemer.

I'm thinking of writing an academic paper on how university policies influence the work of faculty in the social sciences and humanities in such a way as to reinforce quantity of submitted papers and perceived timeliness of research topics over quality of research and actual impact in their fields.

Thread Information