Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stringer: PS3 Can Be as Successful as PS2

Blog Entries

ps3 Stringer: PS3 Can Be as Successful as PS2

Sony CEO Howard Stringer believes the company's next-gen console can be as successful as its predecessor, and says the momentum of the PS3 matches that of the PS2 early in its lifetime.

"The momentum shift and the energy behind PS3 in time for Christmas is extremely fortuitous," he told The Hollywood Reporter.
    "It was planned by the PlayStation group, but I think this momentum now - particularly the number of games coming out, including our own as well as third-party - is the same as it was with PlayStation 2. [The PS3 is] not behind the curve compared to PlayStation 2 in terms of momentum."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=8026&Itemid=2

Hello:

I disagree with Howard Stinger. The PS2 by itself becomes a phenomena by the time it was released. One year later, the console had more sales and possibly, more software available than PS3. Altough sales are increasing for the PlayStation 3, the console doesn't perform well comparing with the PlayStation 2 in 2001.

I think they believe that the #1 spot will be back to Sony's console. MS and the big N are much tougher competitors now than before. With luck, I expect a distant 3rd place for them this time and in the future. At least, until the next console appears. Only time will tell.

Distant 3rd? Their already a distant 3rd. I expect Sony to end up at least 2nd place by this time next year. The Wii may be popular but it doesn't have the same kind of staying power of the PS brand, and most people who own one are casual gamers so the software sales will be lacking. Once all the Mario games have been released theres not much left in the can for Nintendo (and they still refuse to do online multiplayer right).

I'm sure this commercial failure will not be even better than the Gamecube

Wow, you really are an idiot to think that. Please go back the bridge you crawled out from JKKDARK. I'm sure the PS3 can manage to sell 21 million consoles over 5 years

Oh God, you two aren't trying to argue with each other about Sony vs. Nintendo consoles again? Okay, sure I'm more with the Playstaion 3 and that but as I would say, we all will just have to wait and see what the outcome will be.

DCEmu Legend

To be quite honest, I believe the price is what really held the PS3 back. Regardless of what the fanboys say or believe, the PS3 is wanted by nearly everyone. Had it been priced at around 350, the PS3 would have sold just as well, if not better than the Wii and 360 this last year, and it would have garnered better 3rd party support because it would be more popular than it is now, and well, everything would have worked out better.

This time next year, the PS3 could be available for 300 or maybe less, depending on how much streamlining they can do to the manufacturing process and still offer a higher end model that could earn them money. Next year will be the year the PS3 really shines in my opinion, and by then the Wii fad would have probably subsided; Nintendo is gambling on damn near 20 year old franchises. Sure they work, but at some point one needs to ask when it is time to just let go...

Quote Originally Posted by $n!pR View Post
    Wow, you really are an idiot to think that. Please go back the bridge you crawled out from JKKDARK. I'm sure the PS3 can manage to sell 21 million consoles over 5 years
    Mad because PS3/PSP are selling miserably compared to Wii/DS? :rofl: :rofl:
    Don't cry, my friend. At least the PSP sold more than the Game Gear :rofl:

That is something I don't like about Ninty. They have the same franchises as they're mains as they had in 1985. While thats all fine and great, I've played so many Mario games Mario Galaxy just felt like a repetition to me.

However, I can't say much different for Sony. MGS4 and FFXII have been around just as long. Granted though Sony has released new age games, including my all time favorite action game (Bioshock not counted), God of War. Thats gonna end up being the selling point for me, GoW III.

However, this is exactly why I love the 360 to such ends. Fresh, new games such as Lost Planet, mass Effect, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Too Human, and tons of others. Even Halo isn't an old franchise, and they ended that with the 3rd game, despite knowing that if a forth were made, it would sell like every Halo before it. The Xbox is still getting goldon oldies even though they're the newcomers. The XBLA is packed full of them, and games such as Ninja Gaiden 2 and DMC4, part of long standing franchises are arriving on 360.

JK don't make fun of the Gamegear. It may not have sold much but its a winner in my books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information