via Computer and Video Games

Gearbox Software president Randy Pitchford has described Brothers in Arms competitor Medal of Honor as a franchise "in trouble".

"It's a great franchise, and a lot of people love it, but I think somebody really needs to get hold of that franchise who cares about the subject matter and understands what the real promise and the fantasy is", Pitchford told us when we caught up with him earlier today at a press event in London.

EA's Medal of Honor series blew gamers' socks off when Allied Assault launched on PC, but the series has never experienced the same accolade since.

"I think they're confused right now", Pitchford continued. "They're partially speaking not as a dedicated World War II game, but just as a game. I think if you're just going to make a shooter, there's other subject matter you can pick that give them more flexibility to do the kinds of things that they've been wishing to do.

"Like upgrading weapons and things like that? That doesn't belong in an authentic war game."

Development talent isn't the issue, he added, but what the Medal of Honor team really needs to do is focus on the fantasy.

"...there's something just missing about what's in the heart of what the fantasy is of playing these kinds of games and I think somebody needs to get hold of that franchise that really cares and can do that."