Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Journalist May Have Been Fired Over Negative Review

Blog Entries

General games Game Journalist May Have Been Fired Over Negative Review

It started as a rumour post on Kotaku and a Penny Arcade comic strip: reviewer Jeff Gerstmann was fired from the gaming news site Gamespot for giving the co-op action title Kane and Lynch a low score, and snarking on the game in the review. The catch? The firing was dictated by games publisher Eidos, who didn't appreciate the veteran reviewer's tone in the piece. Their ad campaign (spread across the entirety of the Gamespot site) may have been used as a bargaining tool of some kind. Joystiq has a lengthy, detailed summary of this event and its implications, which is no longer technically a rumour. Gerstmann confirmed to the blog that he has been let go from the C|Net-affiliated site, but as of right now can't talk about the details.
    "The ramifications of the story, if true, are huge. Readers should fairly expect there to be an inviolable firewall between advertising and editorial in journalism, and game journalism (yes, that includes "just reviews") is no different. While our industry has had its fair share of accusations of impropriety, nothing so far has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Giving a publisher the power to fire a senior editor is a line no outlet should be willing to cross."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/30/1317259

Blog Entries

In the wake of the rumors surrounding Jeff Gerstmann's suspicious removal as editorial director of Gamespot, Gamespot owner CNET has issued a short, official comment on the situation. "GameSpot takes its editorial integrity extremely seriously," the statement reads. "For over a decade, Gamespot and the many members of its editorial team have produced thousands of unbiased reviews that have been a valuable resource for the gaming community. At CNET Networks, we stand behind the editorial content that our teams produce on a daily basis."

As for Gerstmann specifically, CNET repeated their assertion that "it is CNET Networks' policy not to comment on the status of its employees, current of former."

While it's nice to see CNET taking the accusations seriously, the statement doesn't confirm or deny the facts behind the controversy, or add any significant information to the story. With the rumor still generating significant discussion throughout the online gaming community, such a short, pat statement seems unlikely to stop the gathering storm of attention.

I hope not, this guy was hilarious on the Hotspot. It still sad though, the way this is begining to unfold.

Blog Entries

I never have liked gamespot since they gave Twilight Princess an 8.8.... Bastards...

DCEmu Regular

Kane and Lynch was not the only game to badly reviewed by this bastard smackdown on the wii was given a poor review and anyway i don't trust gamespot at all they couldn't review a good $#@!e if they $#@! one.

I think that the ' we are above all doubt that surfaces about our integrity just because we say so ' attitude really doesn't help them. I visit Gamespot everyday and can say that Kane & Lynch's ad on the site was one of the (if not THE) longest running ads I've ever seen. The fact that either party refuse or is unable to comment on what happened only adds logs to the fire.
    In the golden age of gaming mags I was aware that game publishers applied pressure by removing ads from those that gave unfavorable reviews to their games. But getting people fired is a VERY different thing.
    Unfortunately companies believe human beings have only 2 purposes:
    1.working for them
    2.buying their products

If this turns out to be true I will not be surprised at all.

DCEmu Newbie

I'd like to send Jeff Gerstmann an e-mail to show some support for this guy. His reviews were a bit dry but you could tell he was a dyed in the wool gamer and always shot straight when it came to game reviews. His ex-employer better lawyer-up because wrongful termination is just that: wrong.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    I never have liked gamespot since they gave Twilight Princess an 8.8.... Bastards...
    This was the same guy that reviewed it and gave it that score. I didn't agree so much with that score either but it was negligible. I do think gamespot is over harsh on ratings, and I don't normally check them (game informer is who I like). However his review if you check the video is about spot on, and I agree with the score and everything he said is true. Actually the score could have been less, but as much as I don't normally like the guy, I don't wanna see him get fired over this.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Same

best reviewer on a $#@! review site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information