Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DCEmu Asks - Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News DCEmu Asks - Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?

Hi all this is a new network wide feature of sorts ill be doing for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

Around 1988 Nintendo was still enjoying the success of it?s NES / Famicom system and didn?t see any need to jump on the 16-bit bandwagon. However the NEC PCengine / Turbografix in Japan, and the Sega Genesis in the US were beginning to dominate the videogame market. Nintendo's jump to 16-bit was no real surprise. Oddly enough Nintendo wanted the original Famicom to be 16-bit, but resources at the time were too expensive to make it happen, but now was the opportunity to take Nintendo to the next level.

The Super Famicom was released in November 1989, and immediately took over 80 percent of the Japanese market. They still had a lot of ground to cover to catch up with the other 16-bit systems. The console itself was quite impressive, and introduced scaling and rotation effects (the famous Mode 7) that could not be duplicated on the other systems.

Nintendo was still slow to release the system overseas. A shortage of supplies, and the fact that the NES was still making money in the US delayed the Super Famicom?s release. The system was finally released in the US on September 1st 1991, and called the SuperNES. The SuperNES was also released in Europe a year later in April 1992.

The SuperNES soon amassed a large library and battled toe to toe with Sega. Their popular character franchises and exclusive games kept them in a heated rivalry. Arcade games played a strong role in the competition. SuperNES got the jump on Sega by releasing the popular arcade title ?Street Fighter 2? with temporary exclusivity. Soon after they lost the edge when they chose to censor another popular arcade fighter ?Mortal Kombat?, which Sega released unedited.

The SuperNES remained popular for the next few years. Sega began introducing game enhancing add-ons such as the Sega CD, and 3D gaming was growing in popularity. Nintendo refused to fall behind the times, and also began working on a CD based add-on. With numerous disagreements with Sony, Phillips, and with production delays, Nintendo scrapped the project. They approached A new developer named Argonaut Software who produced a chip that could be added to game carts. This chip would allow the SuperNES to produce 3D graphics. The SuperFX chip gave the SuperNES new life, and produced popular games such as Star Fox which was released in 1993.

Nintendo continued to use chip enhanced cartridges to maintain the SuperNES?s popularity. Even as 32-bit consoles began to surface, Nintendo continued to surprise gamers. In 1994, Nintendo teamed with a 3rd party developer named RARE. Together both companies produced Donkey Kong Country which used rendered graphics. The game looked as good as first generation 32-bit titles, and kept the SuperNES selling even in a 32-bit generation.

In March 27th of 1998 Nintendo decided to release a scaled down cheaper model Super Famicom in Japan. It was called Super Famicom Jr and retailed for 7,800 Yen. Not only did Nintendo cut the size of the console, but they also cut out the A/V out port and the expansion port. The redesigned model was also released in the US shortly after the debut of Nintendo 64, and called SNES2. Both designs and redesigns of the Super Famicom and SuperNES are shown above.

FACT: Nintendo seemed to get a lot of trouble calls with their NES because gamers had a bad habit of setting drinks on top of it. When they designed the SuperNES, they added rounded edges and raised areas so that you could not set a drink on it. This apparently reduced the amount of troubles called in the United States.

Chip enhanced cartridges kept the SuperNES alive well through the 1990's. Some of the chips included the SuperFX, SuperFX2, DSP1, DSP2, SA-1, C4, SDD1, and lord knows what else.

So now its over to you and we ask whats the greatest Snes Game ever and why? If you cant decide then let us know your favourite 3

Finally before i cross over to you the info above is from a big friend of DCEmu called DW whos site has expired it seems, hopefully i can get Martin to bring his excellent console history site to DCEmu or at least rehosted.

Blog Entries

to answer my own question, well its a very hard decision theres just so many excellent games for the Snes, Super Mario Kart ranks very high as does the Super mario Collection and Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country was awesome at that time. On the RPG front Zelda 3 was perfection and the one game that actually made me try a RPG game sadly i cant stand the modern rpg games.

International superstar soccer was also excellent at its time, games like Starfox, Uniracer and Pilotwings were amazing too and luckily i owned a Super Wild Card and was able to try out the many excellent Japanese wrestling games, many that i never understood but loved anyway

i certainly concur with wraggster about zelda, but as an rpg nut i also enjoyed mario rpg and final fantasy v. ps - can you imagine waiting more than two years for a japanese console to arrive to the west in this day and age? not even china or india are forced to hold their breath that long and they always seem the last to get official support.

DCEmu Newbie

Normally I lurk, but this time I felt I had to post.

Chronotrigger - best snes game hands down, if you haven't played it you owe it to yourself.
    Seiken Densetu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) - best action rpg on snes, multiplayer rpg and numerous endings.
    Super Mario Allstars - 5 awesome Mario games in one cart!

If I was to choose my 3 favourite SNES games =

1. Street Fighter II . The first half decent home release of Street Fighter II had me playing on my SNES until.. well.. Street Fighter II Turbo came along. Definitly deserves to be up in my top 3

2. Super Mario Allstars + World. I was going to mention Super Mario World but why not go for the release which went along with Mario Allstars ? Super Mario World was a great platformer game which used a world map perfectly to navigate around the game. Throw in some cool powerups, mystery exits and levels and, of course, Yoshi.. And you have what I believe is the best Mario experience that Nintendo has ever brought us.

3. Tough one this but I think I'll have to go for Chrono Trigger . The amount of different endings gave it superb replay value... and the story had true depth which was not seen in many SNES RPGs at the time.

So, Street Fighter II - The World Warrior , Mario Allstars + World and Chrono Trigger

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

DCEmu Newbie

Super Mario All Stars + World

DCEmu Newbie

1. KIrby superstar- I'm playing it almost every day since I get it.
    2. Star Fox. It's cool to play it even today.
    3. Pilotwings. It was really good game. And it was fun.

And last... I would put there star fox 2 if i could, but it wasn't really relased

DCEmu Newbie

Well here's my rundown:
    1. Megaman X :Why? Its to me the best Megaman game ever! When it came out I played it without an end and it never got old not even now!

2. Street Fighter II : Why? Street fighter was a great fighting game and i enjoyed the friendly competition with my friends. Plus it was a gorgeous game! The graphics looked GREAT!!!
    3. Super Mario World: Why? Great concept for a game. I loved the cape and the levels were great. Plus Who doesnt like Mario?

Just to comment... I never bear Megaman X or Super Mario World... I was too young... But i did beat Street Fighter and I thought that was hard back then!

Super Mario All Stars + World, just like Homerun said...

For me StarFox, Its an awesome game with great graphics and gameplay. Remember bugging my dad for months to buy me a SNES, he finally gave in and on my 16th Birthday, I had 1, bundled with StarFox, .

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information