Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75% of parents worried about games, says report

General games 75% of parents worried about games, says report

via Games Industry

A survey of 4000 parents across the UK, France, Germany and Italy has concluded that 75 per cent of respondents were concerned about the content in videogames that their children played.

Additionally 43 per cent claimed they were unaware of any ratings system in place, despite the PEGI system in place across Europe, and the BBFC in the UK, while 44 per cent believed that time spent playing should be limited to one hour per day.

The survey, carried out on behalf of Microsoft, is the latest research to highlight concerns over the use of videogames by children, despite the number of 18-rated titles available only making up a small percentage of games released.

It also went on to find that an average of 63 per cent of children played games on their own, without any kind of supervision, although most parents claimed that they identified and selected the most appropriate games for their children to play.

ELSPA set up the Askaboutgames web site to try and better inform parents about the content of videogames, and how to judge whether or not a game is suitable.

And in the UK Dr Tanya Byron is currently leading a government review into the subject of how children relate to videogames and the internet, the findings of which are due in the first half of 2008.

all these articles on how dangerous video games are, are really starting to wear thin.

This what happens when a government pumps people full of selfish juice, encourages wreckless abandon and dismisses responsibility in favor of placing the blame everywhere except where it truly belongs.

I can envision a dark future if this crap continues.

Too many people in the world with too little education, and too many sick ideas on how to make the world a better place (i.e. prime-time tv shows, wars, governments).

Oh and these 75% of parents who are concerned, are the same people who shouldn't be having children. It's unfortunate, but I believe if you have children you are RESPONSIBLE for them and what they are EXPOSED to.

Parents have alot of maturation to do. The children are fine.

Ignorance is bliss, so people tell me.

Parents these days are too overprotective in my opinion.
    I bet this 75% have never played games either.

it's because they don't have idea about video gmaes

wow.
    thats one retarded percentage.

i bet they only asked 10 parents.

and i know for a fact that if i had kids, i wouldnt be worried at all about video games.

Yeah, this crap is getting old. But, I think it is necessary for parents to seriously evaluate what their kids are doing, but not with a haze in their way.

Of course parents are worried about video games...Who else is gonna babysit their kids?

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by damienarcangel View Post
    Of course parents are worried about video games...Who else is gonna babysit their kids?
    Man you hit the nail on the head there. A lot of parents definitely don't spend enough one-on-one time with their children. I feel bad for kids today though. I had the classics (Mario Bros., Zelda, Metroid, etc.) when I was a kid. Its a shame what's marketed as kids games to gullible parents nowadays.

Often, kids who are social misfits have parents that also have plenty of issues. Parents, wake up. If your kid has no friends and locks himself in a room with bags of junk food and soda, while sitting in front of a TV/Computer..... WAKE THE **** UP and intervene. Don't blame the video games themselves.

I'm sick of sleaze bag parents trying to blame everything and everyone but themselves. While children cannot be 100% controlled, they can be influenced, encouraged, supported, taught, etc. by parents if parents would stop being so lazy.

The gaming community will never tolerate strict restrictions and government intervention when it comes to video games. Get over it. Too much government is counter-productive. There are bigger problems in the world than video games.

Ridiculous plain and simple.

I like how it says an hour a day they think is enough for their kids to play games. But I bet ANYTHING that most of them let the kid watch 6 - 8 hours of TV at least after and before. I mean with games you can learn puzzle solving skills, improve your reaction time, work on hand eye coordination, and even exercise a little (Wii )! TV is just brain rotting, nothing special just staring and half thinking. I don't understand why video games are SO bad! I mean if your kid is severely over weight, eats tons and tons of junk foods, and is a loner with no life whatsoever. Than please, parents, go help your kid learn how to have fun with some friends too. Or at least have them get some friends who game, and eat better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information