Thread: GameSpot sets record straight on Gerstmann firing

Blog Entries

General games GameSpot sets record straight on Gerstmann firing

Eidos' "displeasure" not related to dismissal, review changes

Following the controversy over the firing of long-time editor Jeff Gerstmann, GameSpot's management has answered questions regarding the circumstances surrounding his exit.

As reported earlier, Gerstmann was terminated just as his video review of Eidos' Kane & Lynch game was taken down. At the same time, the text of his review of the game was altered, and the Kane & Lynch ad campaign featured prominently on the site - only to be removed shortly thereafter.

These circumstances led to rumours that Gerstmann was terminated due to pressure from Eidos over his unfavourable review.

GameSpot cited legal restrictions and corporate HR policy as reasons for not initially commenting upon Gerstmann's departure. However, the site has now published a lengthy response from its management.

The site has indicated that it cannot provide the exact reasons behind Gerstmann's dismissal due to legalities, but said that he was terminated following an internal review process by the managerial team to which he reported. GameSpot said the issues were "unrelated to any publisher or advertiser."

As to why the video review was removed, GameSpot said that they had quality concerns specifically due to a faulty microphone, not to mention a limited amount of footage.

In the spirit of "full disclosure," the video has since been reposted and is viewable on the site in its original form.

According to GameSpot, the Kane & Lynch review text was altered because "Jeff's supervisors and select members of the edit team felt the review's negativity did not match its "fair" 6.0 rating." The copy was adjusted several days after its publication so that it better meshed with its score, which remained unchanged.

Finally, GameSpot said that the timing of the ad campaign, which was purchased weeks in advance based upon the game's release date, was "extremely unfortunate but was purely coincidental..." The end of the promotion had been predetermined well in advance and had nothing to do with the Gerstmann controversy heating up.

The site admitted that Eidos representatives "expressed their displeasure to their appropriate contacts, but not to editorial directly."

"It was not the first time a publisher has voiced disappointment with a game review, and it won't be the last," GameSpot said in their statement.

"However, it is strict GameSpot policy never to let any such feelings result in a review score to be altered or a video review to be pulled."

GameSpot categorically denied that Gerstmann's firing, the alteration of the Kane & Lynch review text, or the removal of the video review had anything to do with Eidos' disappointment.

"This article is one of the first steps toward restoring users' faith in GameSpot, and an internal review of the incident and controversy is under way. However, at no point in its history has GameSpot ever deviated from its review guidelines, which are publicly listed on the site.

"Great pains are taken to keep sales and editorial separated to prevent any impression of impropriety."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31280

DCEmu Newbie

Yeah, yeah, yeah..and just because we haven't found any WMDs in Iraq doesn't mean they're not there. :rofl:

When I hear it from Gerstmann himself, then I'll believe it.

DCEmu Newbie

I think GameSpot's full of it. Not that I ever trusted a review from there, this is a further message to stay away!

As to why the video review was removed, GameSpot said that they had quality concerns specifically due to a faulty microphone
    LMFAO. I could hear him just fine, as could everyone else.

Too bad GS, you've lost all credibility with the gaming public. Just sell off your domain and bow out already.

DCEmu Regular

I miss the early days of gaming up till about the early 32-bit days. You just had magazines to go by and there wasn't all this extra crap you had to deal with. The gaming scene used to be fun now it's way out of hand with this crap. Companies back in the day didn't have to really worry about this bad press stuff. There wasn't all this internet mumbo jumbo, and games didn't cost 324908239838350985430=8 dollars to develop. These high development costs are what I believe makes publishers/developers to put pressure on these big sites that do reviews.

I would like to back up Gamespot by telling you all to have a look at the Christmas issue of psm3. On the back cover and throughout the magazine are advertisements for Kane and Lynch. However, inside the magazine is an unarguably more severe review of the game, which basically calls it unplayable and derivative, and gives it a 56 rating. Nobody got fired there.

LMAO
    I knew gamespot was sold a long time ago
    How come, ridiculously bad games have such high rates

They had pretty low credibility, now is zero

and BTW good luck finding the WMDs on Iraq....
    [cough!! were never there cough!!]

Thread Information