Thread: New inquiry into risks of harmful material in games

General games New inquiry into risks of harmful material in games

via Games Industry

This inquiry is different than the Byron Review, a government report due in 2008 which will seek to understand better how to protect children from harmful images.

The CMS Committee wants to consider the benefits and opportunities offered to consumers, including children and young people, and the economy by technologies such as the Internet, videogames and mobile phones.

At the same time, it will look at potential risks to consumers from exposure to harmful content on the Internet or in videogames, considering the "effectiveness of the existing regulatory regime" in helping to manage the potential risks.

The committee is particularly interested in the potential risks posed by "cyberbullying" according to a statement calling for written submissions from interested parties.

While the CMS Committee will accept responses to the Byron Review, it intends that its inquiry be broader in scope as it will examine the impact of content on consumers in general, rather than focusing solely on the impact on children and young people.

Submissions are due by the end of January, with oral evidence sessions planned for February and March of 2008.

DCEmu Legend

I'm getting kinda sick of seeing these types of threads. Its getting very old.

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    I'm getting kinda sick of seeing these types of threads. Its getting very old.
    Agreed, I knew there were ratings on games, as soon as I seen the 12, 15, 18. If parents didnt know what that is, then they should never watch films again.

Parents are to blame, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I keep anything I think is unsuitable away from my kids, they DONT watch it, play it, read it or listen to it period.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by FOL View Post
    Parents are to blame, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I keep anything I think is unsuitable away from my kids, they DONT watch it, play it, read it or listen to it period.
    hmmm. That's like saying my parents made me smoke. they made me drink alcohol, they made me take drugs.
    (i do none of them btw).

There is no one to blame apart from the person that does the action

Quote Originally Posted by stevo11185 View Post
    hmmm. That's like saying my parents made me smoke. they made me drink alcohol, they made me take drugs.
    (i do none of them btw).

Well actually, the parents are largely to blame. If a kid's parents do a good job raising them. Teach them right. Spend lots of time with them. Try very hard to make sure they do the right thing. Always are protective but not too strangling. The kid will more than likely do none of those things. Yes, it IS their fault if they do it but the way they are raised changes the way they are in the future. So help them young, don't let it get to there. Don't hide everything from them either, playing a few M games won't kill them, but sit with them when they play, teach them that it's just a game and that it isn't real life. It goes a long way. I thank my mom for teaching me well, and my dad for showing me those type of games and movies. He taught me the difference between life and games, and started me on some of my favorite games. My Mom is fully responsible for my not doing drugs / drinking / smoking. So, parents just need to protect their kids, and SPEND TIME WITH THEM.

please stop these pointless threads. People know that video games are violent they have been since doom was release. Its not that hard to look at the rating at the bottom of the box to see if the game is suitable for your child.

...Too much Blah blah Violence, blah blah blah Chemicals, Blah Blah Blah This Blames this crap.... Who cares. We want random funny stuff except for things in life that is pointless as such as this... It's the person themselves that don't get the point in life, period. Sorry for this message, but really I can't stand to see another thread like this agian.

Thank you.

DCEmu Pro

There's no point in debating this kind of nonsense. Personally, I'm having trouble understanding whatever the hell the Inquiry is supposed to show.

DCEmu Legend

It is getting out of hand. We humans are not as high and mighty as we think we are, and a lot of humans are obviously not that intelligent. Actually more and more studies are showing that our brains become more mentally inept as we age. This isn't to say that all of our elders are stupid. But most of them lose the ambition to learn and understand new technology and the various media that utilizes the technology. Remember, elder "authority" figures also thought Elvis was a damaging influence on youth.

Listen, the world can be a scary, dangerous place and we are all eventually going to die.

To find meaning in life by bitching and complaining about this and that to try to be placed on a pedestal as a doer of good needs to stop.

Nobody owes you anything! If there are violent video games that you don't agree with, too ****ing bad. If these people want to live in a bubble and have so much government that they swallow everything that is force-fed to them and ask for more.... good riddance.

This is the Internet Technology and Gaming age. Our time to shine. Things can't always be the way they were when parents, grandparents, and middle-aged government officials grew up.

If we let governments, organizations, or authority in general continue to try and limit and control everything we free people are exposed to, what type of world will that be?

There is no need for a call to arms and any ridiculous fight the power uprisings. Intellect, organization and common sense shared and expanded among all of us globally is what can defeat oppression, censorship, and sheer stupidity.

Its time to show the world...

Quote Originally Posted by stevo11185 View Post
    (i do none of them btw).

Errm you obviously have no clue, what your talking. Thats teaching kids right from wrong as it were. Buying then or letting them buy things they shouldnt, is down to the parents PERIOD.

Plus, i dont think my kids will be smoking, taking drugs drinking etc etc, being they are only 6 and 9. If in the future they do, then you are correct, that is down to them.

Thread Information