Thread: R4 DS Piracy may hurt Marconix International

Blog Entries

NDS R4 DS Piracy may hurt Marconix International

Games downloaded to R4 cards for use in the Nintendo DS may hurt Macronix International, the Taiwan-based supplier of ROM featured in the Japanese vendor's official game cards, according to industry sources.

The sources noted R4 cards are already popular with gamers in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, and the trend is also spreading to Japan.

While an official DS Game card offers only one Nintendo game, multiple games can be downloaded to a single R4 card. That means gamers can buy just one R4 card, which costs only as much as an Official Nintendo game card, and copy to it whatever games they may like without extra cost, the sources noted.

The growing trend is a threat to sales of Nintendo game cards, as well as the ROM supplier Macronix, who may see orders decrease, the sources claimed.

As much as 50% of Macronix's revenues currently come from ROM, the biggest client for which is Nintendo, the sources disclosed. Macronix's ROM for the DS is customized for its game cards. Nanya Technology, which has outsourced ROM orders from Macronix, may also be affected, the sources remarked.

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20071212PD204.html

Hi, I`m probably in the wrong place alltogether but looking for some advice ...I`m thinking of buying a good quality sound card for my pc and I have been recommended the EMU 1616 but there seem to be different models of this card can u tell me what the differences are please?? I just want to record my music with out all the background noise..Thanks

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
    Hi, I`m probably in the wrong place alltogether but looking for some advice ...I`m thinking of buying a good quality sound card for my pc and I have been recommended the EMU 1616 but there seem to be different models of this card can u tell me what the differences are please?? I just want to record my music with out all the background noise..Thanks
    This is DS section so sorry.

I think the news article is silly since it is trying to target R4.....could be another one of nintendo's ploys to make bad press for it.

What is DS please and can you point me towards the right forum for my questions??

What is DS please and can you point me towards the right forum for my questions??
    You don't know what a ds is?

Get off the internets.

Dual Screen

Nintendo DS is a Handheld.

DCEmu Newbie

As Stevo said, it's rather ridiculous that they target the R4 while there are a great many devices that beat it to the punch, and several that are more full-featured. They're just going for what's popular, to make an example of it.

I left a comment with them, though they do not publicly show comments, but maybe it'll help educate the article-writers.

Fat chance, I know, but if you don't try then you've already failed. I recommend others do the same (respectfully, please, they won't listen to flaming and rambling). The name and email fields are not required, if you're wondering, but there is a strict character limit. Citing specific examples of legitimate use, such as Moonshell, may help.

DCEmu Newbie

*ahem* Dont copy that floppy! thank you.

That said, yes, do as hypershell suggested and leave a note with the writers and others about the legitimate uses that mod carts have. I personally would never have gotten a DS if it were not for the R4.

DS sales are insane right now, much more than anyone could have predicted, so any company complaining about their sales is either doing something very wrong or has unrealistic ideas.

Thread Information