Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP-290 Battery Consumption

Exclamation PSP-290 Battery Consumption

Hello,

I have realized that my battery is drained very fast if I use PSP-290 GPS device.

is this normal, or my battery(3rd party 2400mAh) dying ?

in these days I'm trying to test my GPS alot...
    so maybe because of this reason, I dont know.

please tell me your situation.
    how many hours with FULL Gps function.

today, my battery was %80, I tried to use GPS but couldn't fix satellites (it was snowing.. maybe because of this) I tried for 30 mins. And I went to Mc Donalds and played Game (from memory stick) almost 1 hour later battery depleted !!!

I think it's not very normal...

DCEmu Pro

It may be that 3rd party batteries are not actually that good as original Sony ones, but I'm not sure about that one.

Concerning Map This!, by default it runs at 333 MHz, and this indeed drains the battery rather quickly.

You can set STARTUPFREQUENCY in config.txt to 111. That makes Map This! slower, but your battery will last longer. There is a bug though, when you go to GPS info screen and back to the map, it always switches to 333 MHz.

I have a noob question now.

changing CPU Speed of our PSP, may cause any damage ?
    I know we are not overclocking it.
    but, just changing it very often may cause a problem ?

I think my new 3rd party battery is not good.
    because I just started to use CFW, before I was playing games with UMDs... it have to provide long operation times. and it used to provide 2-3 more hours per recharge.

just after I upgrade to CFW, it behaves strange but, I started to USE GPS at the same time.

so I will see after I tried some more.
    probably cheap battery problem >.<

DCEmu Pro

The CPU is designed to run on any speed between and including 1 - 333 MHz, so changing it doesn't do any harm.

Good, so I dont need to afraid for CPU.

another hardware question:
    is GPS still consuming battery while it's not working ?
    while I'm playing a game, if my PSP-290 is attached to the PSP, even it's not working will it consume battery ? (for any reason)

DCEmu Pro

Good question . I have seriously no idea, but in principle you could test it using a multimeter .

DCEmu Newbie

mehmetcan, don't worry. You should just use car-plug, were you thinking to use it as some kind of PDA ? such as when you catch taxi? I suggest you to buy a cheap 3rd party battery, try to get 3600Mah.

I have 2 batteries,
    first is Sony Original 1200mAh,
    second chinese 2400mAh -> this one is new and used to stand for a long time. but now it's not as before. maybe it's dying... or maybe it's GPS which sucks power

I will use GPS for fun, just for looking where I am. or creating POI's of nice restorants (or nice girls ^^) thats all ...

in my country, I will never use it in car. I rarely drive in my country and I can go to my destination even my eyes closed so This PSP GPS is just for fun ^^

DCEmu Newbie

mehmetcan, great.! no need car in seoul.
    Trains are just too great in over there. whenever I go back to Seoul once in a while, I find the train systems are extremely easy and convinient.

Yes, I find that 3rd party batteries are good for a 'few' weeks, then performs worse than original sony.
    I think I've seen some 2400 ones that fits in slim (without the bigger cover). I might get those. My current 3rd party one is too big. It comes with ugly black cover! (my slim is purple color)

If you want to prolong your life, then set it to 222 or 111: slower rotate/zooms, but great if you just leave it on.

BTW, do you use sleep to power on/off ? I realized that Mapthis5.2 (mine is 3.71M33) hangs when I turn psp back on from the sleep...

DCEmu Pro

zerodays: it hangs because it doesn't reopen the file handles, which I think are lost when you go to sleep mode. You can easily fix this by going back to the map selection screen before putting the PSP in standby mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information