Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EEE PC - The Worlds Hottest Laptop and Emulation Center ?

DCEmu Regular

and Emulation Center ????

dude... you're pimping a POS laptop. Nothing special at all.

Looks pretty cool

DCEmu Newbie

So any idea on N64/PSX emulation? I remember back when the EPSXe core was still being worked on, I could run it decently with all the bells and whistles turned off under similar specs, but that was with my trusty Voodoo2 card.

Maybe a fully upgraded 2GB of ram could make up for the lack of video acceleration?

I will probably get this in about nine months before I leave for Japan. Might as well wait a bit and see if Asus will either drop the price or add more for the same price point.

Dream Coder

my 5 year old 10 inch vaio kicks this things ass. MUCH higher resolution, even though the screen is only 3 inches larger. 30gb of hdd space. expansion slots. full sized keyboard keys. and most importantly, a CD/DVD combo burner.

Of course, the price on this thing is pretty good. Definetly the cheapest around if you want ultra-portable. I doubt it would run N64 though, as afaik the only working 64 emulator on linux is mupen64, which is ass slow (relative to windows emus).

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrad View Post
    So any idea on N64/PSX emulation? I remember back when the EPSXe core was still being worked on, I could run it decently with all the bells and whistles turned off under similar specs, but that was with my trusty Voodoo2 card.

Maybe a fully upgraded 2GB of ram could make up for the lack of video acceleration?

I will probably get this in about nine months before I leave for Japan. Might as well wait a bit and see if Asus will either drop the price or add more for the same price point.
    This is a common mistake. People for some reason assume that a Pentium-M 900 mhz is roughly equivilant to a Pentium 3 900 mhz. In actuality, the performance is much closer to that of a Pentium 4 2.0ghz.

My laptop has the same processor, and runs circles around a p3 900 desktop with integrated video.

As to the compairison to the walmart laptop: a 1.6ghz via is crap. I wouldn't be surprised if realworld performance of the two was similar.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
    Let's face it guy's the age of spinning disks is drawing to a close.
    They predicted that a few years ago too. Still waiting.

Prices for flash memory are dropping, but prices for mechanical hard drives are always dropping slightly faster.

There are also long term reliability problems with flash storage that have constant read/write cycles. The people putting XP onto their Asus EEE machines have had to pare down the OS and remove the paging files to reduce the number of read/writes.

This thing is sweet, I've been keeping my eye on the EEE PC for quite awhile and I've seen it run pSX, and Project 64 under XP with no discernable performance hit.

I'm waiting for the 10" screen rev.

DCEmu Newbie

After doing some research, I'd say this thing is a bit more powerful than it's specs suggest... It can even play O(ld)blivion! (barely)

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous D View Post
    anyone got any idea as to UK prices on these things? im seriously considering getting one
    http://gbax.com/ is seling it at £ 229.99 Inc. VAT

I fail to see why this is so friggin hot in terms of emulators and surfing. I've had a 12" IBM computer for years which runs most emulators (not PS2 yet) like a charm. Yeah, N64 runs great too. I often still use it for emulation even if PSP covers most of them. C64 emulator on PSP sucks big-time and is impossible to work with because of bad audio and program shutdowns, same with Amiga (no disrespect to the developers, they've done a great job getting those emulators that far), so it is a great laptop to have.

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    looks sleek but the specs aren't totally unreal. Only 4 gb internal storage? Not compatible for running vista? and only have a gig of ram which isn't expandable?

It looks very nice and its pretty cool that it is so small... but If I want internet I'll use my laptop... if I want emulation I'll use my PSP
    4GB should be more than enough for anything you'd like to do, even installing windows xp (lol). To knock this thing because it won't run vista is laughable. Vista blows. This is for people that only want to do light office work and internet surfing. If the storage is that big of a deal, hook up your ipod and use it as a drive. Not technically built for gaming, so quit bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457 View Post
    This can emulate N64 full speed but I'm not sure if it can do that in Linux. If it can do that in Linux then I would be sold on this but I'm not sure if I'm going to get it. If I were to get it then it would be this next summer before I go off to college.
    If you want to play games on it, use windows versions of emulators, if you are wanting a office/school computer, get a good lightweight linux distro (xubuntu, linux mint xfce community edition) with open office and you're set for school. Hopefully project64 gets off their asses, drops win95, 98, me support and makes a *nix port.

Quote Originally Posted by urherenow View Post
    and Emulation Center ????

dude... you're pimping a POS laptop. Nothing special at all.
    Yes, it emulates quite well in fact, for it's specs, depending on what emulators you are using and os (linux only has 1 n64 emu (mupen64) that is crap compared to the windows only, project64, which makes me sad).

Lol, a POS huh? Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    Of course, the price on this thing is pretty good. Definetly the cheapest around if you want ultra-portable. I doubt it would run N64 though, as afaik the only working 64 emulator on linux is mupen64, which is ass slow (relative to windows emus).
    I'm hoping project64 releases a port to linux in the near future. It seems they don't want to GPL it anytime soon.

Windows emus run decently (according to vids taken on youtube).

Besides, there aren't many N64 games I really like outside of ssmb and mario 64, not a big deal (to me).

ePSXe runs decently in linux.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information