Thread: Review: Memor32 USB Memory Card (PS2)

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

ps2 Review: Memor32 USB Memory Card (PS2)

Memor32 USB Memory Card (PS2)
    Manufacturer: Memor32
    Site: Buy from ConsoleSource
    Price: $69.95

Overview : The PS2 is certainly no stranger to a continuous flow of great games which is why every hardcore gamer will adore the Memor32. Featuring a unique USB based design, the Memor32 is an advanced memory card for use on any PS2 and PSTwo systems around the world. Unlike standard memory cards, the Memor32 will allow gamers to load and unload save games to and from the PC for use with the PS2. It’s compatibility is up there with the best, with over 1500 games tested and working perfectly.

Features :
    • 100% MagicGate compatible powerful 32MB memory card
    • Compatible with all PS2 and PSTwo systems worldwide
    • Integrated USB connector
    • Load and unload saves games to and from the PC for use with the console via software
    • Unrivalled compatibility, over 1500 games tested and save compatible
    • Perfectly plug and play device
    • Two years in development

Quality/Usability : I admit that I usually dont completely unlock all the contents of the game. Then again, after I play the game, I stop playing it and move onto the next game and the game just sits there for months before its traded or sold. But there are also games that require updated rosters that you wouldnt be able to get elsewhere such as baseball, football, basketball, etc. Who wants to sit there and manually update the rosters when you can be playing the game?

Memor32 has released a USB memory card for the PlayStation 2. It does everything a normal PS2 memory card would do such as load and save game saves. What makes the Memor32 different is that it connects to your PC via USB port on the side of the Memor32. The only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that was similar to this was the SharkPort which was also known as X-Port.

The Memor32 was tested with the latest (at time of this review) Save Game Manager (SGM) v1.3. Save Game Manager allowed you to transfer downloaded game saves from your PC to the Memor32. Team Memor32 is greatly improving SGM each time there is an update. The first release was just to show that it was legit and that more was to come. 1.1 activated the IMPORT and EXPORT functions. 1.2 added the .max extension support. 1.3 added Windows Vista support but .max extension game saves was not available at time of review.

Setup is very very easy. First and foremost, format the Memor32 on your PS2. Once its formatted, download their latest Save Game Manager and driver file. Once the files are downloaded, extract and install SGM. You'll need a USB cable to connect the Memor32 to your PC. The same cable used for the PSP or digital camera will work fine. Unfortunately, Team Memor32 does not include a USB cable in order to keep costs down. However, some retailers may include a USB cable. Connect the Memor32 to your PC and Windows will recognize the Memor32 as a USB Serial Port. It may ask to search from drivers but DO NOT let Windows download it from the internet. Instead, remember that driver download I posted above, extract it and direct Windows to search for driver in that folder. It may require you to search for drivers twice so direct it to that folder.

Upon starting up Save Game Manager, the user interface is clean and straight to the point. The left window shows what files are on the Memor32 and the right window shows your computer. In between the two windows are 5 buttons:

• BACKUP - transfer game saves from memory card to PC
    • RESTORE - transfer game saves from PC to memory card
    • DELETE - delete game save
    • IMPORT - load game saves from PC
    • EXPORT - export game saves to PC

The bottom half shows different things. The bottom right displays Memor32 status. It lets you know if the Memor32 is connected or disconnected. It also tells how much space is available on the Memor32. Underneath is a button ERASE MEMOR32. This deletes everything on the Memor32 at once. The left side displays the Save game information such as file name, size, when it was created and modified and icon of game if available.

Every time a game save is transferred whether it be to the Memor32 or to the PC, a status bar is shown at the bottom. It does not take long to transfer game saves.

Conclusion : Overall, the Memor32 USB Memory Card (PS2) is a very useful accessory for the PlayStation 2. Unfortunately, its 2 years too late. The PlayStation 2 is on its last legs as publishers and developers are focusing on the new next gen consoles such as the Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation3. But this wont stop anyone whether or not you have beaten a game or dont even own any of the new systems. The Memor32 is great for updated sports roster or for those who like to cheat in a game or just to play through it with everything unlocked once they have beaten it...with no cheats of course. Price whoever is a bit pricey especially with no USB cable included. If this was $40USD or so, this would be the sweet spot for PS2 gamers.

People are wondering, wheres the Memento hack review? It will come shortly and I will update this review. But my review is based mainly on the Memor32 USB Memory Card itself.

DIGG THIS

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 01:43.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Regular

I have great expectations concerning this product. I bought it an will have to say that the installation procedure is a little annoying. I installed the Memento firmware and it seems to work. Extremely annoying that you have to patch the backup images to get them to boot, though.
    My PS2 has extreme difficulties in booting these backups, but that is probably a result of a worn laser or bad or incompatible media.

What we want - ability to boot non-patched backups

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

I would love to see the ability to boot non-patched games as well.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Thread Information