Thread: PS Meeting 2005: PS3 Tech Demos

Blog Entries

Default PS Meeting 2005: PS3 Tech Demos

Sony had its technical demonstration gallery in hand as it debuted the PlayStation 3 in Japan Thursday afternoon at the PlayStation Meeting in Tokyo. Prior to showing off some slick game trailers, including Gran Turismo Vision, Killzone and a few debut titles, it demonstrated the power of the new system through ducks, super hero villains, a recreation of London and an Unreal 3 engine demo.

The Tokyo PS3 tech demos were, for the most part, the same as those shown at the system's debut back at E3. However, there were some differences here and there. The duck demo includes some new elements at the end and, due to it being fully controllable, is completely different from the E3 clip. Likewise, the demo showcasing the villain from Spiderman 2 is controlled by a different person this time around, giving you a different look at the same demo.

Of particular interest is the Unreal 3 demo. While Sony chose to show the same impressive trailer clip that was shown at E3, it also replayed the clip a second time, this time pausing the action and playing around with the settings. If you want to see what the Unreal 3 demo looks like without shaders and in wire frame, here's your chance. Providing narration is Epic's Tim Sweeney, with Sony Computer Entertainment cheif technology officer Masa Chatani translating Sweeney's comments into Japanese.

Is it just me, or is SONY just repeating the same headlines as 6 years ago for the PS2?

"We won't sell it to Korea", "Can be used as a Miltary chip", "Look at our Tech demo" (blurred venus statue), "our (emotion engine) chip is the most impressive and can do everything batter than all the rest..."

Take it all with a pinch of salt, Playstation will always only ever be built around one game... Gran Turismo. We will wait to see whether Sony can deliver the goods, but I aint heard or seen a thing that impresses me so far.

Yes I have seen the Killzone FMV... but that is all it is... FMV. And Killzone was crap on the PS2.

Metal Gear Solid... Very funny Hideo, a PS2 demo of a PS2 game to hype the PS3. Sure it will be good when it is done for the PS3 but show us the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by marc.williams
    Is it just me, or is SONY just repeating the same headlines as 6 years ago for the PS2?

"We won't sell it to Korea", "Can be used as a Miltary chip", "Look at our Tech demo" (blurred venus statue), "our (emotion engine) chip is the most impressive and can do everything batter than all the rest..."

Take it all with a pinch of salt, Playstation will always only ever be built around one game... Gran Turismo. We will wait to see whether Sony can deliver the goods, but I aint heard or seen a thing that impresses me so far.

Yes I have seen the Killzone FMV... but that is all it is... FMV. And Killzone was crap on the PS2.

Metal Gear Solid... Very funny Hideo, a PS2 demo of a PS2 game to hype the PS3. Sure it will be good when it is done for the PS3 but show us the real thing!
    amen. its time that sony renamed their system. You see the first Was playstation.. then their was 'hype'station and now we are seeing 'hype'station 2.

Guys shut up!

There was a good reason for PS2 sucking so bad! PS2 had a radical new archetecture that only sony knew how to fully utilize.

PS2 had no middleware and was using a chip made by sony itself. Also PS2's graphics were sony made. So therefore 3rd party developers had no idea what the hell they were doing and were basicaly given a few libraries and some how to manuals and were told to just wing it!

PS3 will not have these problems because PS3 is much more like a computer then a pice of proprietary sony crap!

Just look at this: Nvidia is making the GPU and Sony, IBM, and Toshiba are making the CPU. The PS3 unlike the PS2 will be using more familliar technology, so developers will have a much easier time making games. Also PS3 devkits have a ton of middleware and are open GL based.

Developers can go to multiple sources for help with PS3 not just Sony do you see my point?

That's why the xbox did so well! PC programmers could just look at xbox and say hey it's a computer. I know how to use a computer!
    :-)

Well if you read my post it is not a put down on any console it is Sony's marketing machine widely missing the point. You can look at the PSP and say "this is a quality piece of kit" but for the moment it is very second fiddle to the Nintendo DS.

I am in no doubt that the PS3 will sell in buckets and so will the Xbox 360 and I am not in the habit of saying things are crap for the sake of it.

I am very excited about the imminent arrival of the next gen machines and I will be waiting to purchase mine when available, but I don't want to hear the fake promises that sony made last time.

Let's just wait for the release of machines and then we can make a proper judgement rather relying on false speculation or hype from idiots that know nothing about what games are.

I have a PS2 and a PSP so I am not against Sony. I have an Xbox as well and I know which one is my favourite and why. What I will say that my Gamecube very rarely gets played and this is because of the lack of good games (they are mostly kiddies games).

I can't see the Nintendo Revolution making any headway into Sony or Microsoft's market share; that console battle has been lost before it has started.

Now should Sega make a come back in the hardware market... that would be first on my list to buy.

Thread Information