Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neo4All screen resolution - read Chui

DCEmu Newbie

Exclamation Neo4All screen resolution - read Chui

NeoCD/SDL used to run at 320x240 but later versions (named NeoDC now) ran at 640x480 (like Neo4All) making the graphics look blurry (interpolated).

Here are screenshots (click them) to elaborate on what I'm saying:

1x scale - 304x224 (looks MUCH better, like real Neo Geo CD graphics)
    http://img289.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kof981x8py.png

2x scale - 640x480 (blurry, stretched sprites)
    http://img289.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kof982x0lx.jpg

Unlike a PC monitor, a TV can display 320x240 just fine and it doesn't look pixelated at all since a TV can display low resolutions just fine. PC monitors however don't display low resolutions very well at all making things look extremely pixelated.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say here and hope you add an option to display Neo4All at 320x240 or 304x224.

I know that if you display a 304x224 game in a 320x240 resolution you get black borders on the sides of the screen but that doesn't bother me but I'm sure you would know how to stretch it out to fullscreen since Neo4All stretches 608x448 to 640x480

If you want me to explain more Chui then let me know

Thank you for such a great Neo Geo CD emulator! and I hope the next version adds 320x240 support

Dream Coder

I have never tried it on a TV, so all i ever see is 640x480 on a monitor that can do that =\.

Next version of NeoDC will have 320x224 default for tv and 640x448 for vga (possibly also some sort of switch).

I don't know if it will be easy at all to do that with neo4all though because the way it's rendering works is completely different.

DCEmu Newbie

Good to hear Quzar, I can't wait for the next version of NeoDC

By 320x224 do you mean the display will be stretched slightly horizontally to fill the screen so there won't be huge borders on the sides of the screen as in the old NeoCD/SDL?

DCEmu Newbie

If it's simple (ish) to do, I also would greatly appreciate less blurryness, Chui!

Great Emu, Neo4all. In my opinion, maybe the best emulator ever written, considering what it achieves on the Dreamcast.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo
    Good to hear Quzar, I can't wait for the next version of NeoDC

By 320x224 do you mean the display will be stretched slightly horizontally to fill the screen so there won't be huge borders on the sides of the screen as in the old NeoCD/SDL?
    it should look exactly like it does now (for shape) just lower resolution. As it is i took great care to make sure it appeared true resolution, because before (after speud wrote the pvr code in the original neocd/sdl) it was messy and did not exactly render the pixels in the correct places (so even though the image was 320x224 and stretched to 640x448 it was not exact quadrupling, like it is now). As it is the current way it works is that every pixel normally as 320x224 is just quadrupled in size (so it takes up 4 pixels in the 640x448 screen). Overall NeoDC should look a lot less blurry than Neo4all because neo4all uses multiple tiles and renders them to the screen creating a blurry grid.

if you havn't tried any version of NeoDC, you should. Take a look at the difference in the image between NeoCD/SDL v9.3 and NeoDC v1

Before:

Now:

is this for a computer? i cant find anygood pc neo geo emulators...

Hm, not sure, let me have a look:

Chuis`s News and Release Forum
    The official english forum for the Dreamcast releases by Chuis (DCaSTaway, NEO4ALL, UAE4ALL etc) Check out Chuis DC Projects.
    Hm, could be it's for DC not PC...

Neo4all was ported and is available on PC but obviously a different name as any of the emulators released right now.

Dream Coder

No, in the sources it has a PC version, but it is never released for the PC, and the code is vastly different (basically it's gneogeo). On the PC it may run slower than NeoCD/SDL. it is definetly less portable.

DCEmu Newbie

I just compared NeoDCs rendering of the graphics with Neo4All.

NeoDC does render better although there seems to be a bug causing a thin green line to remain at the bottom of the screen if you change the region.

I can see ripple lines in Neo4All, most likely the tiling you were talking about and it also seems that the graphics are not in the original aspect ratio x2, rather 640x480 stretched in Neo4All.

What improvements do you have in mind for NeoDC for the next release Quzar?

I think a option to underclock the Z80 and 68k core would be nice. It certainly helps in Neo4All which runs faster than NeoDC even if you overclock both the Z80 and 68k so i'm sure underclocking would help NeoDC even though it may not be accurate. MAME allows overclocking and underclocking so thats a plus point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information