Thread: Review: Joytech HDMI TriLink Switcher

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Reviews Review: Joytech HDMI TriLink Switcher

Joytech HDMI TriLink Switcher
    Manufacturer: Joytech
    Site:
    Price: $54.95-79.95

Overview : Expand your digital connections with the HDMI TriLink™ from JOYTECH. Connect up to 3 HDMI compatible devices to 1 HDMI input on your TV or display. Ideal for use with PlayStation®3, DVD, or HD satellite and cable services, the HDMI TriLink™ features a Remote Control or Manual Selector Switch allowing you to navigate your HDMI source at a touch of a button. Supports HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection), HD resolutions of up to 1080p and multi-channel digital audio.

Features :
    • Remote Control included
    • Connect multiple HDMI signal sources to one HDMI input on TV or display
    • Easily switch between three HDMI devices
    • Supports full High Defi nition resolutions up to 1080p
    • Three HDCP compliant HDMI 1.3 inputs provide a pure digital connection

Quality/Usability : With more and more technology being bought and used, eventually we'll have lack of inputs for all our devices. Yes, newer TVs have inputs in the front of the TV as well as on the side but its a hassle having to reach the back of the display each time you want to plug or unplug. At the same time, it can damage the ports as well.

Thats where selectors come into play. As technology advances, eventually we'll do away with regular audio/video cables (red/white/yellow, s-video, etc.) and everything will be HD (HDMI, DVI). HDMI selectors vary in look and design, features, functionality and most importantly...price.

Joytech's HDMI TriLink Switcher supports up to 1080p and is HDCP compliant but is also small and semi-affordable compared to some other HDMI selectors on the market. Inside the Tri-Link Switcher package, you'll find the Tri-Link Switcher, a remote control with preloaded battery, power supply, USB cable, infrared extension cable and manuals.

You must be wondering why it includes a USB cable. Well, its another way for you to power the HDMI TriLink Switcher. This is great if you dont have a spare wall outlet to plug in the power supply and you're near a computer or device that has USB ports. These days DVD players, PlayStation 3, Xbox360 and HTPC (Home Theater PC), all have USB ports.

There is a button on top of the switcher that lets you toggle between INPUT 1, 2 or 3. Which ever input is chosen, it will light up with a blue LED. It also has a infrared sensor. This allows you to use the included remote. The remote allows you to choose either INPUT 1, 2 or 3 instead of having to push the buttons on the Switcher. The remote control is fairly small and runs on CR2032 watch battery. Nothing fancy to be seen here. Just three buttons to choose your desired output. Whats nice about the Joytech HDMI Tri-Link Switcher is that it includes an infrared extension cable. Selecting inputs using the remote to the switcher can only go so far. With the extension cable, you plug it in to the side of the switcher and this will allow you to switch inputs from a further distance. The bottom of the extension cable has adhesive so you can stick it to your coffee table or something.

Conclusion : Overall, the Joytech HDMI TriLink Switcher works very well. I love the fact that its compact and light, I can control the switcher from across the room using the infrared extension cable and most importantly, it can run on USB. I ran out of slots on my power surge protector and I tend to plug and unplug power supplies if I am not using it that moment. My Samsung 32" has a USB port on it and it works great. Some or most should have USB ports as this is a way of upgrading firmwares on HDTVs. I think three HDMI ports on the switcher is enough considering on average, there are about 2-3 HDMI ports on a HDTV. Unfortunately, you'll have to supply your own HDMI cables.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 01:27.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Thread Information