Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking a E310

Default Overclocking a E310

Hey, I currently have a Dell Dimension 3100, and let me tell you, never buy from Dell, those damn tech support guys in India screwed me over, first out of a better proccessor, then a new free monitor, and later on a video card.

Well the processor is clocked at 3.00GHZ and it has a Hyper Threading enabled. I want to overclock it to 3.2, for two reasons:

1. Since its not that huge I won't have to buy a new cooling system, although I bought a new Power supply capable of 300mv or something like that.

2. I want my system to be able to run HD DVD's, everything but the processor, even Hyper Threaded checks out.

And finally, if I can't over clock it, what works better, HT on or off?

Here are the systems specs that I grabed from Kotor 2:

Spoiler!

Edit: I am running Vista 32 bit Home Premium, with DX10 support,

what is hyper threading.
    i remember my friend told me he had that on his computer a long time ago, but i didnt know what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_threading

I can't explain exactly what it is, so I hope that helps.

im not computer savvy, so that probably made my understanding of hyper threading worse. lol.

Is anyone able to help me out?

I don't know how to overclock a processor, but I think you should enable Hyperthreading. It somehow emulates two processors and thus giving multicore optimized apps a little speedup.

Quote Originally Posted by kcajblue View Post
    im not computer savvy, so that probably made my understanding of hyper threading worse. lol.
    lol i thought being computer savvy was like a requirement for this forum.

Oh, and I have a Dimension E310. Never get one. Its built literally backwards.

lol. i suck with computers, thats why i dont care that i have vista.
    i dont notice any difference other than ive gotten 3 blue screens of death for no reason.

Hyperthreading is intels way of making the single CPU appear as 2 to the operating system.

Hyperthreading allows the OS to use multiple threads and possibly use some of the 'idle' parts of the CPU to do work instead of sitting idle while waiting on another part of the CPU to finish.

It generally gives some performance increase, sometimes a slight performance hit.

P4s really need it as they were god awful chips with a really long pipeline. There are a lot of 'stages' of actions the chip takes and this can lead to parts of it not being used while waiting for other parts to do their job. The P4 was all about getting that high clock speed while almost ignoring the instructions per cycle part of the equation. Thats why AMD brought out the 'speed rating' system where they would lable a 2ghz processor 3800+ or whatever. It was fair enough though, athlons were a lot better in the ammount of work they got done per cycle. Now the Core chips own everything else. At least intel learns

I don't know of any issues that having hyperthreading enabled causes when overclocking.

I am surprised a 3ghz processor cant cope with HD video playback though. You dont have some really bad IDE drivers that chew your CPU when your transferring heaps of data over it or something do you?
    Last edited by bah; January 8th, 2008 at 04:57.

I don't think my drivers are bad or anthing, Vista should pick up on that. Im gonna leave multithreading enabled, but im still not able to play HD DVD's for some reasons, they either run really slow, with no networking, or not at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information