Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DCEmu Asks - 3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News DCEmu Asks - 3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?

Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

3DO Interactive
    Similar to the goal of the Phillips CD-I, a company called 3D0 set out to create a new standard in multimedia. Their creation became the 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer. It was capable of running 3D0 interactive software (games), Audio CD?s, CD+G, Photo CD, and Video CD?s using an add on. Rather then manufacturing their new system, 3D0 decided to make 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer a franchise. Sanyo, Panasonic and Goldstar all bought rights to manufacture the 3D0 system. Once produced and sold, 3D0 would claim a royalty for each system and $3 for each game sold.

In October of 1993, Panasonic began sales of the first 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer. The systems capabilities were clearly quite ahead of it?s time. Although it was not the first 32-bit system in history, the 3D0 was the first 32-bit system in the United States. The images shown are of Panasonic?s 3D0 models FZ-1 R.E.A.L 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer, and FZ-10 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer. There are several more models established by other companies, but other then a few additions they are all pretty much the same.
    As groundbreaking as the console was, the 3D0 was also one of the most expensive systems ever released. At a whopping $700USD or more, this machine only seemed to attract the wealthy. Even after a few price drops, the 3D0 never recovered from its initial reputation as a rich man's videogame system. Since 3D0 placed no software licensing restrictions, the 3D0 amassed a large library of games. Some quality titles such as ?Need For Speed? and ?Road Rash? became quite popular. Others (as with Atari 2600 titles) were sheer crap.

In 1995 the 3D0 company began announcing a new technology called 3D0 M2. This technology was rumored to have 7 times the power of any console released at the time. M2 would come standard in a new 3D0 system, or be used to upgrade existing systems.
    The 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer could have had the capability to compete even with newer 32-bit systems, but M2 never became reality. M2 technology was sold off to another company (Matsushita), and 3D0 machines never saw the upgrade. Gamers found themselves more interested in cheaper 16-bit consoles, and eventually newer 32-bit systems entered the market. 3D0 games and systems found their way into clearance bins starting in 1996.The system eventually died the end of that year.

FACT: 3D0 Interactive Multiplayer had only one controller port. However, this wasn't a problem since extra controllers (up to 8) could be easily daisy-chained to another controller. The original Panasonic controllers have a built-in stereo headphone jack along with a volume control dial. The system has its own internal memory to save games and other information. It has 2 expansion ports which were to be used for future upgrades such as memory cards, modems, digital video cartridges and the M2 system upgrade. The 3D0 was definitely designed for the long haul.

The Panasonic 3DO may have been the first released version using the 3DO architecture, but it definitely was not the only system available.

The Goldstar 3DO console (Top image) was released North America, East Asia and Europe at a MSRP of $399. Goldstar expanded distribution of the 3DO system by making it available through mass merchandisers and toy stores. It was far cheaper then it?s Panasonic counterpart, but was reported to have many hardware faults. This system included pack in CD?s Shockwave, FIFA Soccer, and a demo photo CD. It Also included a certificate to send in with a roll of film to have your own custom Photo CD disc made.

The Samsung 3DO (bottom left) was first presented at 1994 Summer CES in Chicago. The Samsung 3DO console was set to include built-in MPEG decoding hardware for viewing VCD and full motion video. The console has since been cancelled.

The Sanyo 3DO (bottom right) was marketed in Japan only. This version featured the most unique containing the waves you could see on top of the unit.

Although it cannot be considered a console, there was yet another version of 3DO available. Creative Designs took the 3DO concept and placed it on a card. The 3DO Blaster was a PC compatible ISA card that allowed gamers the ability to play 3DO software on their Windows based home computers. It has since been discontinued, and is considered a rarity to collectors.

Thanks again to Dark Watcher for his info above.

Now heres our question to you - Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here

Previous History Topics:

PC Engine a History & Whats the greatest PC Engine Game Ever ?
    Atari2600 a History & Whats the greatest Atari2600 Game Ever ?
    Playstation2 a History & Whats the greatest PS2 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo 64 a History & Whats the greatest Nintendo 64 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?
    Sega Dreamcast a History & Whats the greatest Dreamcast Game Ever ?
    Nintendo NES / Famicom a History & Whats the greatest NES Game Ever ?
    Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

The greates 3DO game eh, now this console set me back 400 Quid but it was awesome at the time, graphics on Need for Speed blew me away, so yeah thatll be my top game

need for speed was the only game i ever played, pc version was better

DCEmu Newbie

Wolf 3d, sound is awesome IIRC.

DCEmu Old Pro

Return Fire
    Road Rash - best version of the game
    Gex
    Space Hulk
    Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge
    Super Wing Commander
    Crash N Burn

DCEmu Newbie

Out of this World was nice on 3DO, but if you're a purist you might prefer the less meddled with backgrounds all the other platforms got

Hello:

It's true that 3DO has a lot of software, including adult interactive movies. Most of its software are not as good as I would like. Still the console manages to deliver very promising games. My two bests are Daedulus Encounter and Captain Quazar. The latter is very addictive.

DCEmu Regular

Lucienne's Quest (one of the only japanese rpg's. it's actually quite good and one of my favorites)

Super Street Fighter II Turbo (arcade perfection)

Out of This World

DCEmu Rookie

I felt I wasted my money when I got a a 3do. So I only have honorable mentions:
    Road Rash
    Samurai Showdown
    Super Street Fighter 2
    Gex
    Demolition Man

In 1996 a friend of mine was own it and was playing pirated games so I was lucky enough to play many games on it.I think 3DO was the first true next gen machine of that period,it had started the revolution and not PSX neither Saturn.

Need for Speed was the best on 3DO.
    Also Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo was absolutely perfect with perfect arranged soundtrack.
    Others are Demolition Man,Fifa Soccer,Road Rush,PoEd,Samurai Showdown,Slam N Jam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information