Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console?

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    The greates Homebrew Console is without a shadow of a doubt the Dreamcast, the ability to play Homebrew and Emulators without the need to modchip makes it the greatest console plus the over 500 releases for the system with some amazing stuff being released over the last 7 or so years. Theres no competition
    So the PlayStation 2 is the greatest console of all time because it had a ridiculous amount of games? Yes you can argue that the Dreamcast didn't require any modification to use homebrew but this same ability was its undoing since the Dreamcast is also probably the easiest console to pirate. Also, not to demean the efforts of the authors of homebrew for the Dreamcast, there isn't very much software for the system that could be put to good everyday use especially if you couldn't afford the costly Broadband Adapter.

My vote goes to the Xbox. I never owned one but in my humble opinion it was the first console that had a number of quality homebrew releases going for it. There are so many worthwhile options when it comes to homebrew for the Xbox.

I can't wait to see what will be possible with the Wii. If hackers can learn from Virtual Console then it's possible the Wii could be the best in emulation.
    Last edited by AuroEdge; January 6th, 2008 at 09:11.

YourStillWithMe,Wii is going to suck in homebrew scene??
    I think you have little knowledge of what Wii is doing now and what will do.As for hard drive,they can be supported on the future since is has built in usb 2.0 ports.Its a matter of little more hacking,Wii is much much more hacker-friendly than Xbox360 and PS3

Xbox 1
    Nothing beats it...
    except maybe an Xbox 1 with 128MB of ram.

kojiro7: But what does it have to offer as an advantage over say the xbox for emulation?
    The controller would be useless for most systems so you'd need a classic or GC controller plus an external HDD.
    I guess the wifi networking is a plus, although personally I'm still one of the few ppl who will use cat-5 above wifi whenever possible.

An xbox can be bought 2nd hand pretty cheap, soft modded and has a lot of cool stuff for it already.

The wii may be a bit more powerful, but people are interested in homebrew on the 360/PS3 because they are a LOT more powerful.
    The xbox (with the official sdk) is much easier to port existing windows apps to due to the fact it is basically a PC.

DCEmu Newbie

Dreamcast is the best console, however if it was totally open I would say the DS tops that homebrew wise.

id go for dreamcast for ease of use, although with a little more effort the original xbox was a very capable machine, specially factoring in xbmc.

DCEmu Newbie

Dreamcast....i love that machine....i haven't tried a modded x-box yet, but i'd still put my 2 cents in for Dreamcast since not needing a chip in it makes homebrew so accessible...and i think that part of it is pretty cool

Dreamcast.
    That's all I gotta say...

Xbox or Dreamcast. I can't decide....

Xbox had more and more powerfull stuff, but most of it was illegal.

The Dreamcast has the biggest legal homebrew scene.

-bah-Wii can replace original Xbox in homebrew scene because dont forget you buy it for its commercial games first and it has plenty of future.PS3 and Xbox360 sounds cool for homebrew but I doubt we will see any in the near future,maybe when they die
    But guys anyway if you really want homebrew at home,stick on your PC,thats the true platform and keep one handheld(PSP or GP2X)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information