Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console?

Such stupid reasoning.

Tell me, JKKDARK...is your PSP modded? I mean, since you're all high-falutin' and all...it seems kind of strange how you're posting in this forum if you don't have an illegally modded PSP...

Prob PS1 in my experience BUT not really been into hb scene till PSP. SFami disc sys was cool too but i sold mine

Heh backread post after writing this. Who cares if obsolete sysems are hacked to bits? you care that i copy betamax to dvd? lol
    Last edited by jeegee; January 7th, 2008 at 00:56. Reason: some ppl .... tut...

Sega Consoles were no doubt some of the best homebrew consoles, each (i dont know about Master System) having at least one emulator. Genesis had a NES Emulator developed by Yuji Naka, Saturn had a SNES Emulator, and Dreamcast emulated PS1, N64, and Saturn!

Also, Xbox has a GREAT selection of Emulators and Apps.

So, I'd say that Xbox is the best followed by Dreamcast because DC doesnt even need mods

booradley1212: Modding a PSP for your own use is not illegal, even under the god-forsaken DMCA (you just cant share that info, technically).

It's your hardware, you own it, you can do as you like with it. Sony is free to void your warranty and release updates that wont work on the hacked PSP, but that's about it.

The reason Xbox homebrew is illegal is that it is all built with the official Microsoft SDK (Software Development Kit). The people writing the homebrew and compiling it against that SDK have no legal right to use that development kit so microsoft could sue them if the released compiled binaries.

PSP and DC homebrew are compiled against free, community made SDKs so the compiled binaries can be shared freely.

I don't really know about the custom firmwares, It's sony's code but the custom firmware modifies the sony files when its installed rather than including the modified sony files in the download itself.
    That probably makes it fine to distribute, but questionably legal to use.

*shrug* I'm no lawyer.
    Personally I dont have any moral objections to using the official SDK and the only real legal ramification is that the files are harder (but still pretty easy) to find.

DCEmu Regular

Just because most of the xbox homebrew is illegal doesn't make it a bad homebrew console!

I have a dreamcast and love what it can do both with backups and homebrew/ emulators but having extra memory and a hard drive would just be fantastic.

As much as i do hate to say it the xbox probably for those reasons is the best bet for homebrew.

paul

OK, so mabye the Dreamcast's homebrew is made with a legal programming code, but say I wanted to get GenesisPlusDC (great emulator by the way), I would have to download ROMS which (if you dont own what you have), is illegal, making the entire thing illegal.

Sure there's some homebrew games that are great on DC, but a console without homebrew emulators seems a lot more dull to me. So, it doesnt matter to me whether the emulator I downloaded was made with C or SDK.

EDIT: Dreamcast was my homebrew console until it broke. Once I got a modded Xbox, I saw a BIG DIFFERENCE. XBMC and Surreal64 are the only words I have to say.
    Last edited by Eviltaco64; January 7th, 2008 at 17:04.

yeah, the xbox is the best right now i think.

i have an 160GB hdd in mine, with *COUGH*62 "backup" games*COUGH*.

but i don't play them very often.. i usually play homebrew games and emulators.

Surreal 64 is the best!
    the best homebrew game that i think is "super mario war"

and linux is cool to have on it too, along with Windows 98, anyone tried that?

it's still pretty fun to mess around with the xbox though.. until i buy a modchip for my wii or a softmod for it comes out..

EDIT: XBMC has many python scripts too, like youtube and msn scripts.
    it also have a webbrowser that is pretty useful sometimes..
    Last edited by ____anders____; January 7th, 2008 at 20:02.

I'd say either the PSP or the Xbox.

Dreamcast is okay, yes you can put it on Dreamcast without modifications, but I haven't found much homebrew that's that great.

Xbox Media Center is the $#@!. Built in support for Xlink Kai is good, but if you use Xbox live, the need for it isn't big.

xlink kai is pretty good if you have a modded xbox and want to play online..

it's too bad there's only players on halo 1 and 2..

XBMC and Surreal64 are the only words I have to say.

Word.

Xlink Kai

Let's get a Halo 2 game going and settle thing DC vs Xbox thing once and for all! :thumbup: Who's in???

Thread Information