Thread: Violence in video games.

Reviews Violence in video games.

Lately we have been subjected to a spur of news about video game violance being reflected in society.

This has sent shockwaves through the gaming community as well as congress in general. Many people have different opinions on why video games are being singled out as opposed to other forms of violent media, Such as television, movies, and even music. But I think the real problem is, When you have such a large demographic as "the gamer" you will find that large demographic will house all sorts of different people with different personalities.

The problem isn't video gaming per say. Or the draw to play violent game. The problem isn't even violent games themselves. I think the problem is simply when you have such a large population of gamers out there. you are going to have the same statistical crime rate out of that number of people then you would from any other statistical group.

I mean hell, if the number of neural surgeons in the world where comparable to the number of gamers, you would be hearing stories on the news about neural surgeons maiming each other and breaking into pharmacies to get their fix. The problem isn't gaming. The problem simply is a corrupt fractured modern society.

But that's just my take on this.

SP~

Video games can't decide peoples actions. I can see mentally unstable people falling into a rage because of losing to video games, but unless the violence is disgustingly inhuman (say a game where you torture and murder people) games will continue to not be the cause of violent actions.

but if even congress thinks they can get rid of video games, they are in far over they're head. Not because no one will listen, but because video games have become part of our culture. if they were to say, be banned from the US, this would cause riots, murders, and basically throw people, mainly youths, into a state of anarchy.

Besides that, the US army uses video games for about everything they do via training. ever heard of Americas Army? That game was originally made as a training exercise for soldiers.

Well...yeah. Violence shmilence, but there do have to limits. but I don't think we've passed them.

No one cares about violence.
    Really, if you watch a movie wear millions of people die does it seam bad? no.

Games should be studied by someone that actually knows something (unlike Michigan, Jack Thompson, or Hilary Clinton). I'm actually quite sensitive to violence and anything that resembles it after playing Halo 3 or popping in Bioshock (I've only put it in once because it gave me really bad nightmares afterwards) scares me (knifes and such). If someone with creditably and brains studied violence in games, they would come to the conclusion that they don't cause people to go nuts and kill people (unless they were nuts to begin with).
    Last edited by ExcruciationX; January 7th, 2008 at 17:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    but if even congress thinks they can get rid of video games, they are in far over they're head. Not because no one will listen, but because video games have become part of our culture. if they were to say, be banned from the US, this would cause riots, murders, and basically throw people, mainly youths, into a state of anarchy.
    that would be just like what happened during prohibition.
    that idea didnt work out at all, and people just drank illegaly and they eventually got rid of the prohibition.

What I dont understand is a little kid can watch a NC17 or R rated movie and you dont see people like Jack Thompson bitching about it.

Sure, many say that video games are for children. But, arent there also games for adults/games for everyone?

Thats like saying that movies are only for children.

video game violence is the cornerstone of our society.

anybody else seen Alien Vs Predator Requiem yet?

PSP User

I agree with you completely, shadowprophet. Video games are being scape goated because they happen to be part of our daily lives. If anything, look at sports for violence. Football? Boxing? Wrestling? All violent. At least video games don't hurt REAL people. Sports do. I play soccer and one of my friends was lifted and thrown aside (literally) during a game, and another broke his collar bone. These are real sports related problems.

DCEmu Newbie

I don't understand why people think playing violent videogames makes one violent. I'm personally not a fan of those extremely violent videogames but I don't mind a little bit of violence. I even think it STOPS people from being violent in real life because people who feel the "need" to be violent, have already done that in their video games so there's no need for them to do it in real life. If those video games didn't exist, what would the world look like? Because there are many people who "use" those games to release their anger and frustration.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Plucko View Post
    I don't understand why people think playing violent videogames makes one violent. I'm personally not a fan of those extremely violent videogames but I don't mind a little bit of violence. I even think it STOPS people from being violent in real life because people who feel the "need" to be violent, have already done that in their video games so there's no need for them to do it in real life. If those video games didn't exist, what would the world look like? Because there are many people who "use" those games to release their anger and frustration.
    At least in part due to the number of incidences of children imitating the violence they have seen in them.

I don't know how poorly this will hold, but there is an episode of Star Trek: TNG in which they visit a planet where the people can share thoughts, and there is no crime due to the outlawing of violent thoughts. Without the knowledge that such bad things can exist, it will not come into being on it's own easily. Once exposed to a violent thought in a human's mind, there is a rash of violent crime that breaks out as people become overwhelmed by the imagery they have seen.

It's a bit off, but it clearly illustrates the point, which is that violence begets violence. The way I see it, extreme violence in games is mostly a gimmick. Something like scantily clad women that can be easily put into a game to make it popular with a certain demographic without the game needing to be good.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Thread Information