Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP memory was key factor for Skype decision

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    Who provides VoIP on the DS? Is it simply a communication service provided by Nintendo for and only on the DS (meaning, you can only chat with people on other DS units). This is possible with little to no overhead required, as its simply "voice chat".
    Google the homebrew SvSIP. It uses the SIP protocol to allow you to talk to real phones (Landlines/cell phones) and receive messages.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by myuusmeow View Post
    Google the homebrew SvSIP. It uses the SIP protocol to allow you to talk to real phones (Landlines/cell phones) and receive messages.
    I thought it was something official. I didn't know it was homebrew. The PSP now has a homebrew SIP program also.

DCEmu Legend

I don't see what all of the fuss is about. The original PSP is now 3 YEARS OLD! On top of that, the PSP Slim is homebrew capable, looks, feels, and even performs better.

Nintendo did it with the DS and released the DS Lite. I think SONY really didn't have a clue when the first released the PSP. They didn't utilize it for all its potential. They have learned and now with firmware updates and a more advanced design, the PSP is proving to be one incredible little machine.

I will say though, that a homebrew solution for VOIP that works on both PSP's is more impressive. Fanjita and Team Noobz deserve a lot of credit for that. I may have just sounded like a SONY fanboy but that is not the case. If they attempt to rip PSP Skype users off, I will never even use it and will go with homebrew instead.
    Last edited by Veskgar; January 8th, 2008 at 00:38.

DCEmu Newbie

If thats true, homebrew developers will crack it for the psp 1000 within a few weeks after its release..

Pathetic.
    They 'tried'.

They 'tried' to find a way that they could make it for both and still make as much money, without screwing consumers.

Unfortunately all their financial modelling showed that A) there is more money in making it only for the slim and B) they are sony, if they're not using their 'power' to screw people then they're just not sony any more.

that's so unfair

DCEmu Pro

Skype is a superfluous app anyway.
    There is no need for "Sony wants us all to ditch our fat PSPs" hysteria until a major-release game releases for slim-only.

The original PSP is 3 years old, and identical for all intents and purposes to the slim other than the extra RAM, none of which can be reasonably claimed to be required to make a nice VOIP implementation for the PSP.

What game/application runs on the DS lite but not the fat? Even the browser can be purchased with a GBA cart sized to fit the lite or the fat nicely.

It's pure sony bull$#@!, with the only plausible reason for it being to sell more of the new hardware revision.
    One more reason why sony should not have control of the next optical media format.

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    It's pure sony bull$#@!, with the only plausible reason for it being to sell more of the new hardware revision.
    One more reason why sony should not have control of the next optical media format.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

My phat PSP will be my last console I buy from $ony. The money grabbing bar stewards!

DCEmu Pro

Here's a thought: not-quite-techie people tend to not quite get the lingo right.

More than likely "main memory" was meant to mean "internal storage", which the current firmware is eating up mostly all of all of it in the fat. Does the slim have more onboard flash or something?
    This would be a legitimate reason to shaft the old model out of Skype if so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information