Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSP memory was key factor for Skype decision

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    The original PSP is 3 years old, and identical for all intents and purposes to the slim other than the extra RAM, none of which can be reasonably claimed to be required to make a nice VOIP implementation for the PSP.
    Actually, if you watch the video on Skype they mention that it will be for communicating in game, which I dare say will make it memory hungry.

DCEmu Old Pro

You know, I hope that when it comes out we find that it really does need more memory, so all you whiners can stop saying its a lie.

Cloudy

Quote Originally Posted by mikebeaver View Post

Fanjita and noobz have brought us "Furikup" which is a better product than what Sony are offering and is available, for free, to anyone who is running a homebrew enabled psp
    And its a pretty cool app Seems gocam, talkman or socom headsets work with it.:thumbup:

F9zDark: SOCOM already has voice chat inside a game on the fat PSP, its possible.

The fact that the DS has a voip client and the PSP now has a homebrew option that works on the fat, there is no excuse for not supporting the fat to make voice/video calls when not in a game, and since SOCOM has it then surely voice in game could also be supported.

Cloudhunter: And how do you plan to do that, check for free memory once its running? How does that allow you to judge where they are using that ram or what they could have done with better programming or seriously minor modifications.

If there is a homebrew app that can do voice chat and is going to support video chat, then it clearly is possible for sony to do those things also. Given the desire to do so.

Emm PSP has 32 memory (28 megs) 4 of them goes to xmb. So it seems that there has to be ~20mb left not used. Then another question, how they do a program that uses 20mb? Maybe there is no flash memory left? If that's so then why not to load skype from memory stick? Ahh yea, they just afraid that it will be hacked and everybody will play isos instead of useing skype....

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    F9zDark: SOCOM already has voice chat inside a game on the fat PSP, its possible.

The fact that the DS has a voip client and the PSP now has a homebrew option that works on the fat, there is no excuse for not supporting the fat to make voice/video calls when not in a game, and since SOCOM has it then surely voice in game could also be supported.

Cloudhunter: And how do you plan to do that, check for free memory once its running? How does that allow you to judge where they are using that ram or what they could have done with better programming or seriously minor modifications.

If there is a homebrew app that can do voice chat and is going to support video chat, then it clearly is possible for sony to do those things also. Given the desire to do so.
    Okay... Well, not really okay, as that argument is nonsense.

"SOCOM has it" - well, yeah SOCOM has it... Why? Because it's built into it and the game was made taking that into account and thus they used less memory for the rest of the game to accommodate that feature.

Not to mention that built-in features usually use less additional resources than standalone programs.

Additionally, I think that it's also about the NAND size - the slim has double the firmware image size of the phat. Maybe there's space there for such additions.

cya
    Raziel-chan

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhunter View Post
    You know, I hope that when it comes out we find that it really does need more memory, so all you whiners can stop saying its a lie.

Cloudy
    I think it's truly a memory issue. I also think that it's the way its being designed and implemented. I think they *could* have made something that worked on the 1000 series, but they just chose not to because it involved additional effort and in their minds consumers should buy the latest and greatest product to have all the features.

I stopped playing PC games because my PC was obsolete no matter what the configuration when a new product came out.

This seems to now be the trend with consoles. PSP... then version 1 ... then version 2.. etc etc... and you have to keep buying new hardware to support the latest features. That's not why I like console gaming and I won't play that game

Yes, I'm complaining. But I think I have a right to. I feel that they don't care about paying customers with the original PSP's because in their minds we should just "upgrade".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information