Thread: Dreamcast Not Recognizing ANY Discs

Default Dreamcast Not Recognizing ANY Discs

After using the DC Movie Player, my console hung up on me, so I had to reboot. Now every disc I put in the machine is not recognized. The browser menu keeps saying "Insert Game Disc." When I put games in like NFL 2k2, the same message appears. I figure that the homebrew app corrupted my Dreamcast's bios somehow, so how can I reset it? When I power up the machine, the browser screen comes up and the memory card icon is highlighted, even though I don't have a VMU attached to the console. No cds seem to work, so trying to load a bios image from a cdr doesn't seem to be an option. Any ideas?

Default Re: Dreamcast Not Recognizing ANY Discs

I have the same problem i put in the help section. I wasnt running any thing i just decided to blow the dust off my baby and it woulnt work

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

can it read music cds?

It won't even read those. I doubt it's a case of my DC lens being weak or dirty because the only time I've had this problem was recently when I tried using the DC Movie Player, which worked, then froze up on me. Usually I start my DC up with the Utopia Disc, and I knew something was up when it wasn't recognized by the system. I really think some code from the program affected my Dc and I don't know how to check it. If I got another DC system, are there any models I should watch out for that wouldn't be able to play backups or homebrew apps booted with Utopia? I am thinking about heading to a video game store and picking up a DC if I can't fix my current one.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

about buying a DC
    http://consolevision.com/dreamcast/tuts/buying/

where did you get the DC Movie Player, i don't think it possable for software damage you dc in that way. it does sound like a broken or weak lens, there is a fix for it... let me see if i can find it

here we go
    http://consolevision.com/members/fac...laserfix.shtml

every disc I put in the machine is not recognized. The browser menu keeps saying Insert Game Disc. When I power up the machine, the browser screen comes up and the memory card icon is highlighted, even though I don't have a VMU attached to the console.
    This is the EXACT same thing happening to me....but Im not sure if my DC ever ran homebrew since I got it used....its an Oct. 99 model thats why i want to get it fixed...

Thread Information