Thread: Review: Logitech Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

xbox 360 Review: Logitech Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Logitech Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360
    Manufacturer: Logitech
    Site: Buy from Amazon / local electronics store
    Price: $79.99-99.99

Overview : The Harmony 360 Remote Control for Xbox 360 is teh sure way to get more enjoyment out of your Xbox 360 and home entertainment system, without having to juggle a dozen remotes. Just connect the Harmony Remote to your computer and the Web wizard walks you step-by-step through a simple set up. It shows you how to set it up so that it's controlling your TV, DVD or clicking into game mode. Even the most complex home entertainment system is easy to control -- and best of all, you can do it without all the hassle of writing macros.

Features :
    • Just connect your remote to your computer and answer a few questions about how you currently use your audio/video and entertainment components. Logitech's patented Smart State Technology does the rest.
    • Gives you full control of up to 12 devices -- everything from HDTVs to PVRs, DVD players to VCRs, and game consoles to lighting controls
    • Use the special Xbox buttons - The Harmony 360 includes convenient Y, X, A, and B buttons and media center controls for your Xbox gaming

Quality/Usability : Having a Samsung HDTV, Xbox 360, HD DVD add-on, satellite/cable box, VCR and sound system, each device comes with their own remote control. Having to touch and turn on/off each one is troublesome not to mention having batteries for each one. Lose one remote or break and and you're screwed in the "not having to get up" department.

The Logitech Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360 is just that...a universal remote for all your home electronic devices. I was fortunate enough to pick up two of these for the price of $36.97 at a local Sears but is available at any electronic retail store but for $99.99. How I get it so cheap considering it retails for $99.99? Sears had a clearance on game items and I snatched them up (i.e. $14.97 for 12 month Xbox Live subscription!). Does the remote look familiar? It should because the look and style is exactly like the Harmony 550 with the exception of color and the 360 version has the four Xbox buttons (Y, X, A, B). How well is this all-in-one remote? Lets find out....

The Harmony remote includes everything you would need to get started once you open the package. There are four AAA batteries already inserted into the remote (for those interested consumers to try out) and four fresh batteries to swap out before actually using the remote.

Unlike some universal remotes, you'll need a computer with internet as the setup process takes place on the internet. It works on a PC (running Windows 98, 2000, Me, or XP) or a Mac (OS X 10.2 or later) with an open USB port. Inside the package, you'll find the following items:
    • Logitech Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360
    • USB cable
    • Installation CD
    • Installation Guide
    • 4 AAA Batteries

Before starting, its best that you write down all the devices you want to program onto the remote (you can use scrap paper or use the included worksheet provided). Be sure to write the the device type (cable box, TV, speakers, DVD players, Xbox 360, etc.), manufacturer and model number.

Installation and setup of the remote consists of only 5 steps but those 5 steps will require a bit of your time to configure and setup your remote to your likings. Install the four fresh batteries and reset the remote by simultaneously pressing the Y, X, B, A button on the remote.

Whats great about the remote is that Logitech has included more than 80,000 different devices from 2,500 manufacturers. So more than likely, your device is covered. If not, you'll be able to configure the Harmony remote by using the learning feature. What this means is that you can teach the Harmony Remote IR commands. Of course, you'll need the original remote as this is where the Harmony will be learning and syncing from.

To teach commands to the remote for your origional device's remote:
    1. Click Devices your home page.
    2. Select the appropriate device.
    3. Click Learn infrared commands.
    4. Select the commands you want to teach the device.
      Note: To teach a command that is not listed, in the Learn a New Command box enter the name of the command you would like to teach and click Learn New Command.
    5. Click the Learn Selected Commands button and follow the instructions to teach the commands.
      Note: "Your original remote" will appear beside the command on the infrared language page, indicating the command has been learned correctly.
    6. When you have finished teaching the commands, click Done to return to your home page.
    7. Update the remote.

Once you have written down all your devices, insert the provided installation CD into your computer or you can download the latest file from Logitech's website. As mentioned before, this will work on box PC and Mac. Installation is fairly short and takes a few minutes. Once completed, the Remote Software automatically launches and you are prompted to connect the USB cable to your PC and Harmony Remote.

Be sure to have and be connected to the internet as the setup is internet based. You'll need a Logitech user ID. If you dont have one, registering for one is easy and takes a very short time.

Once you have entered all your electronic devices, you are prompted to set up "Activities" on the Remote Software. This lets you choose the actions such as turning on/off devices. For instance, if I'm watching TV with my cable box and I want to play Xbox 360, with a touch of a button, I press "Xbox 360" and it will automatically leave my TV on, turn off my cable box, turn on my Xbox 360 and put the TV in its correct input (HDMI). The setup will ask you more questions in regards to setting up the "Activities". You can skip this but its best to have everything setup so you dont have to go back to it.

Once you have chosen all your settings and configurations, the proper settings will be transferred from the PC to your Harmony Remote. Once transferred, you will be prompted to test the functions to make sure everything is working correctly. If so, you can quit out of the Remote Software. If not, you can go back and do some more tweaking.

Everything worked perfectly from turning on devices, oping and closing of trays, raising and lowering of volume, changing channels, etc. If for whatever reason, a device does not turn on/off, you can simply press the HELP button on the remote and it will ask you if the device is on. If no, it will try to turn it on and ask you again if its on and it will also ask if the problem has been solved. The display has a green backlight and shows up to four devices which has four buttons (two on each side) to select your devices. If you have more devices, use the arrow to go to next page. You can arrange the order of what is show and you can rename them.

Underneath the display are your normal Stop, Play, Fast Forward, Rewind, Pause, Skip and Record buttons. Next are the four Xbox 360 buttons (Y, X, B, A) followed by Exit, Menu, Back and Info. If the backlight turns off, there is a "Glow" button under the OK button which illuminates the display and buttons. Around the OK button are your directional buttons. To the left are your Volume up/down. To the right are your Channel up/down. Mute is under the volume buttons and Prev is under the channels. Last but not least are you numbered buttons as well as Clear, Display, Title and Enter.

Conclusion : Overall, the Logitech Harmony Universal Remote for Xbox 360 is a must have device. The remote measures approximately 8" long and approximately 1" wide. Whats great is that if you have a device that is not in Logitech's database, you can simply teach the Logitech remote to IR commands for your device so as long you still have the original remote. Even at the price of $80-100, the remote is well worth it. Only thing I noticed was that if I go near the remote to turn on the lamp, its a little sensitive and the backlight will automatically turn on.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 01:38.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

picked one of these up new in box at goodwill for 8 bucks after tax. talk about bang for buck value. it operates everything i've ever thrown at it, including a remote controlled fan (ir learning). although i wasn't aware that other people have issues with backlight sensitivity too. mine lights up across the room for no apparent reason at all times of the day and night. but i wouldn't be seperated from it, especially since i just came into ownership of an xbox 360. i originally picked it up assuming if i ever got a 360, it'd be nice, but would operate all my goods till then.

and yes, it does work with xbox 1, and ps2.

Thread Information