Would benefit gamers and game makers in a massive way

In comments recently made on his blog, the outspoken God of War and Twisted Metal developer said the features that might be lost without competition would be made up for in terms of massive content choice.

"One game publisher would be bad. One giant game developer would be bad. I get how those things would hurt gamers," Jaffe said. "But why would one unified hardware platform?"

Although he did not go so far as to suggest that a unified console is inevitable, as Denis Dyack has said, Jaffe did say that he had yet to hear a good argument as to why a single console is wrong.

"We have it with DVD, we had it with VHS. We have it with televisions (in the sense that- for the most part- every TV is capable of broadcasting the same signal). So what do we lose by having it for game consoles?"

Jaffe thinks that a unified console will allow for more competition on the software side - where it counts - because developers won't have to struggle to create the same content on two or three systems.

"Competition is great," Jaffee agreed. "But I think the leaders of the biggest groups should come together from time to time - like the big Mafia families do in the movies - and make some decisions together for the overall health of the business.

"Heck, maybe they already do this and I am just not aware.

"But if they do, they have not made the right decision on the one thing I think that could benefit gamers and game makers in a massive way: a single console."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=32063