Thread: Review: DecalGirl Xbox 360 HD DVD Skin

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

xbox 360 Review: DecalGirl Xbox 360 HD DVD Skin

DecalGirl Xbox 360 HD DVD Skin
    Manufacturer: DecalGirl
    Site: Buy from DecalGirl
    Price: $14.99

Overview : Make your Xbox 360 HD-DVD player look as good as the movies it plays with a new full-color skin kit from DecalGirl. This three-piece kit covers the bland ivory panels with a vibrant DecalGirl skin design, digitally printed at art-quality resolution on the best materials money can buy. As with all of our full-color skins, the glossy finish won't fade, smudge or smear, and there's no residue left behind when you decide to change the skin.

Quality/Usability : With the HD DVD player add-on, there are no replacement cases for it for those looking to change the look or style. There have been people who have dyed the egg-white color casing of the HD DVD player to match their Xbox 360 Elite. Unfortunately, some people dont know how or are too afraid to mess it up. What is the next option? Skins. The DecalGirl Xbox 360 HD DVD Skin is made from vinyl. There are some out there on the market that gives you different designs but the quality are either limited to a certain amount, horrible or the quality is poorly made. Price is cheap but what you pay, is what you get.

With DecalGirl skins, you get the best of all worlds. Not only do you have a lot of selections to choose from but the quality is the best on the market and the price is very reasonable.

The Xbox 360 HD DVD Skin has three skins; top, bottom and side. All skins that you order from DecalGirl are all pre-cut to fit your desired device. Unlike the DecalGirl Nintendo DS Skin, you wont need a pen or sharp object to detach the skins from little pieces. Since the pieces are all huge skins, handling and applying the skins are very very easy.

To apply, I simply started by matching the corners of the skin to the corner of the HD DVD player for both the top and bottom. Once matched, I did it to the other 2 corners and left the fourth corner alone. There are a couple of ways to smooth out the skin. You can use a credit card or something similar, your fingers or a rag. I personally use my fingers first to set the skin in place and use a rag to flatten and smooth the skin out. I dont use a card because it has sharp edges/corners and if there is a small hard particle that got trapped underneath the skin, it can ruin the skin.

The side skin was a little different. It was cut and shaped differently since it curves. I had to line one side before before smoothing out the rest. If not lined up first, the skin would not fit perfectly on the player.

The only problem I had was the side skin (the smallest piece). The reason why was because it was actually bigger than the HD DVD itself. I had to take an x-acto knife to mark off where the excess skin is. Once marked off or kind of stenciled, I took a scissor and cut it off. Once cut off, the skin fit perfectly. DecalGirl might need to check their template. But its nothing major.

Conclusion : Overall, the DecalGirl Xbox 360 HD DVD Skin fits perfectly and looks great. Applying the skin was very easy and quick. As mentioned, the only minor problem was the slightly bigger side skin which was taken care of by simply cutting the excess skin off. Removing of the skin will not leave any sticky residue which is a big factor when applying anything to your devices. So if you dont like it or messed up, you can reapply it.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; January 27th, 2008 at 22:32.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Sorry im skimming through it, but are the skins Vinynl or just plastic?

Its vinyl.

is that vinyl or plastic

Its vinyl. Says it in the review.

lol, everyone is asking the same thing, and it has been answered 3 times.

Thread Information