Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blizzard shuts down StarLite DS project with a Cease and Desist

This reminds me of the time they shut down Freecraft like five years ago or something.

And aren't they "Activision Blizzard" now since becoming Activision's bitches?
    (On that note, they would've been better off calling themselves "Activizzard" or "Blizzivision".)

Oh yeah, and does everyone have copies of the Slot-2 and Supercard versions of v0.03? There are plenty of StarLite mirrors at the moment but they only carry the main NDS file. Would be nice to get the full pack again.

DCEmu Newbie

I think they should develop the terran tech tree in secret, then release it anonymously.

Anyway, I've lost all faith in Blizzard if there's no Starcraft DS forthcoming.

I cringe to think of how big an art project would that be, to have to design all new sprites for every tech of all three races.

It'd be fun to do, but it'd take forever. Anyone want to donate towards it?

Blizzard has never cared about their fans, the starcraft series and diablo series have always carried a more loyal fanbase than warcraft yet all their attention is on wow. Stopping a small homebrew project like this is plane bullying by blizz.

DCEmu Newbie

Guys, the link's still up for StarLite v0.3:
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/att...9&d=1200601453

DCEmu Rookie

I have to agree that this seems silly, however in their defense in order to retain their copyrights to their logos and images they have to make an effort to prevent people from using them without written permission. That's what owning a copyright is all about. You may consider this a small silly thing to stop, they probably do too, but it becomes a big legal issue that could really mess up their company. As long as Diablo or Starcraft is being sold by Blizzard or Activision (or whatever they want to call themselves) they are going to be 'Nazis' about it. Personally I haven't played this port of Starcraft I've just done a little copyright research. :-P I believe this is the same reason that Nintendo keeps porting the original Marios over to every system, so they can keep making money on the classic and keep their copyright.

omfg...we better get an official release after this bs...

DCEmu Newbie

StarCraft origional should be considered Abandonware now, it should be free for anyone to take the ideas.
    As for it selling more that WOW - Never, not even if they stopped selling WOW and continued selling StarLite for years after.
    It would be a good idea though. It's not too late though, just change the characters models around and stuff like that... a good RTS for DS would be plain awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Brifry View Post
    Guys, the link's still up for StarLite v0.3:
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/att...9&d=1200601453
    Only has the NDS file though. Bit of a bummer for Slot-2 and Supercard users if they can't use the latest version themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information