Thread: Sony STILL not giving up on UMD video

psp Sony STILL not giving up on UMD video

via Computer and Video Games

We've never even considered buying a film on a disc that can only be played on a PSP. Most didn't - that's why UMD Video video fell flat on its ass, but Sony isn't letting go just yet.

This time, instead of pushing films out on the pointless proprietary format, it's going for TV programmes.

SCEA has miniaturised MTV shows Beavis and Butt-Head: The Mike Judge Collection, Jackass, Wildboyz, Viva La Bam and Aeon Flux: The Animated Series to head a new push for PSP multimedia, reports Reuters.

Who wants them, though? 4GB memory sticks for PSP cost peanuts nowadays, by the way. You can fit ALL the video on those bad boys.

DCEmu Rookie

For the average non tech savvy consumer who can not be arsed to go through the laborous process of downloading TV shows and then finding that one program that will properly convert videos to a format that can be played on the PSP, TV shows in UMD format would be quite appealing. If I did not have the Aeon Flux DVD around my house I would not mind spending $20 on the series for viewing during lunch breaks at work.

the umd format is accually better quality than memory stick version (worse battery life though)

DCEmu Legend

Its a trade off, spending hours converting/copying or simply buying it on UMD at the expense of battery life?

Honestly, I'd like to see burnable UMDs. That could be the one thing that brings back the format as something mainstream. Sure we can fit all of our music and movies on the much larger memory sticks (UMDs hold about 1.8 gigs I believe) but having UMD as a "backup" for our music, movies, or maybe even homebrew games would be great.

For instance, I'd use UMDs to compile maps for Deniska's Map This, since, I hate having to decide between a nice luxury (PSP with GPS) or keeping my games and homebrew. But those maps probably wouldn't fit on a UMD anyway...

But, for obvious reasons, Sony won't allow that; the little hold they have left on the UMD movie market would go to hell the instant they did that.

UMD Movies is actually simpler and easier to buy, but I dont know anyone who has bought a UMD Movie..........

If only we had a UMD Burner as F9zDark Said.

UMD video looks soooo good, but current movie prices are retardedly high. Sony is aiming for a more reasonable price point with movies and shows that people actually want, which is what this format needed, since the beginning.

UMD fails.

Seriously, its only playable on the PSP. Great?
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Thread Information