Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reception problem with PSP-290

DCEmu Newbie

Question Reception problem with PSP-290

Hey Guys,
    I have a problem with the reception of my PSP-290 receiver. I am on 3.80 M33-5 with a phat PSP and MapThis 0.5.20, using the prx files that in7ane recently uploaded.

While I do get a hold of satellites (usually around 8 or 9) the reception bars (in mapthis) vary between 1 and 2 and on the map the pointer is jumping around a lot.
    I already tried shielding off the unit itself with aluminum foil, that helped to get satellites faster but it did not improve the signal. Do you guys have any idea what's going on? I don't know if i should buy one of those pre-made DIY cables as extension, probably won't help that much...

Another issue I have is with gmdl0.5.05a and using the POI function> I did it just like in the beginners thread however even when zooming in really close it still gives me way too many POIs (using google map). On google map it fiends 9 and gmdl says 500 something

Any help on these 2 issues would be much appreciated, thanks a lot

DCEmu Pro

The extension cable does help actually, a lot , and for several other people as well.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi Gxxshock,

I recently bought the extension cable this month and received it last week, and it realllllyyy helps alot.

The first modification I did, I removed the white plastic cover of the gps 290 and replaced it with a thin transparent plastic . It helped a bit. Made my gps 290 detect atleast 5 sats in 2 mins (before it only detected 3-4 sats and took a long time to get a fix nearly impossible).

Now with my extension cable, it detects up to 9 sats in two mins and less than a minute to get a fix, And if I let it sit on my dashboard while driving, for about 5 mins or so, I get a full 5 bar signal (7 fixes I think).:thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

Hey Tatchoni,
    thanks for your reply. I will probably get an extension cable soon due to your review. I mostly use my gps for geocaching but it will probably come in helpful if I ever use it for car navigation purposes.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by gxxshock View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I have a problem with the reception of my PSP-290 receiver. I am on 3.80 M33-5 with a phat PSP and MapThis 0.5.20, using the prx files that in7ane recently uploaded.

Which PRX files are you using... i'm not sure which ones i go with...

To get a better reception, before you get into your car, stand outside for like 30 seconds and you should get a lock, then get inside the car, if you do lose your connection you'll definetly get a lock back in a instant in most cases

I thought with MapThis 5.2 the PRXs are loaded off the firmare???

Anyway - my extension cable has just shipped so should be here soon!

DCEmu Newbie

what kind of extension cable is it that ya'll are using and where can i get it. am getting same reception problems,
    But also when i want to exit program, map this shuts down my psp. it didnt do that b4 getting the psp 290 reciever. any idea what is causing the shutdown?

DCEmu Newbie

Thumbs up new extension cable

Just got the cable a day ago and have seen a huge improvment in signal reception and sat locating.

Take less then 2 mins to hit 7-9 sats
    then in 3-4mins maxs out at 11 sats

full green bar in 5 mins tops.

great addition to the set up, Thanks for the heads up guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information