Thread: Matsuura: DS bubble may have burst in Japan

NDS Matsuura: DS bubble may have burst in Japan

via Games Industry

NanaOn-Sha's Masaya Matsuura has said that developers in Japan are beginning to question the longevity of the DS format and its appeal to a gaming audience.

The respected Japanese developer observed that the younger consumer is very conservative when it comes to new software, and that titles aimed at a more mature market are not having the impact they did when the format first launched in the region.

"Some people have said already that the DS software's bubble has burst," commented Matsuura to Gamasutra.

"We have to keep increasing the chance to make more unique titles, but for us it's getting much more difficult because the game market - especially in Japan - is still very conservative.

"Many people know that the DS has very unique titles, like Brain Training, or something like that, but it's not for younger-aged market. It's kind of older people, like me."

With multiple developers and publishers jumping on the bandwagon to create 'training' style games, Matsuura said that sales of such titles have inevitably tanked.

"[One company I know has] some kind of learning type of game. The first one sold over 200,000, but the second one is 8,000. So these kind of things are going to happen," he said.

DCEmu Newbie

[Fanboy Rant]
    What kind of Nonsense is that ?

Just because Training Games won't sell well it DOESN'T mean that other games won't too.

I guess KH 358/2 and DQ IX will make the DS much more popular then ever before !

I wanna see what he talks about after the release of those...

AND: it already took over the PS2' Lifetimesales, so what ?
    [/Fanboy Rant]

Funny how one man can say such a thing...

DCEmu Regular

They create crappy games (who the hell is this NanaOn-Sha? NEVER HEARD of it) and they don't sell and then they blame the DS...

SUCKERS!

DCEmu Newbie

>>Sappo

Are you being serious? They're a pretty respected company that made Parappa the Rapper...

DCEmu Newbie

This is the first time i've seen someone question the DS. Just look at sales numbers people. Look at it from a corprate standpoint, it dosen't matter how many people keep playing the game after purchase (although it whould help in the games latter life), for the most part, it's about how many copy's sell initially.

To be honest, if your producing quallity games for the DS on a commercial front, then I don't think you have anything to worry about so long as Nintendo keeps producing the unit, and it dosen't look like they'll stop anytime soon.

Thread Information