Thread: PSP will not recognise new UMD

DCEmu Newbie

Question PSP will not recognise new UMD

My sons PSP is running on version 3.03 and although will read older games will not recognise a new UMD. When I try to use the update with the disc (Version 3.17) I get the message game could not be started (DADADADA). As you may realise I am not really into these things but he is only 9 and got this game for Christmas and has not been able to play it. Some please feel sorry for him (or me) and please help!! Thanks

You are using custom firmware (probabily 3.03 OE),custom firmware blocks the Sony official updates to avoid the lost of homebrew cappabilities .You should update it to newer versions of Custom firware or downgrade it to 1.50 and upgrade to official Sony firmware.

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks - I'll try that although I have just realised that the PSP is a region 3 - probably imported from Hong Kong or somewhere. Would this make a difference? I know Im stupid!

My PSP is Japanese and it plays US and UK Games normaly. The UMD restriction is only for UMD Movies which dont requires firmware update.

DADADADA error is an error added in custom firwares to block official updates.Just update your firmware to an recent custom firware like 3.80 M33-5 or downgrade it do 1.50 then update with an official update.

DCEmu Newbie

Sorry to bother you again but when in the recovery mode the PSP says 1.5 kernel. Does that mean it doesnt need to be downgraded. Also does anyone know where to get the 3.52 pack and details instructions from. I have tried to download this from ExcruciaX on this site but the file will not open! Thanks

The 1.50 kernel is to allow the use of homebrew that requires 1.50 to run so yes it still needs to be upgraded to a newer custom firmware all custom firmware updates can be downloaded from dark alex's web site www.dark-alex.org if you have questions regarding the installation of these updates just post back, however the included readme file is pretty good.

You may also need to download winrar to open the files as they are in a zipped file to make them smaller to download
    Last edited by hodgy47; January 30th, 2008 at 01:53.

DCEmu Newbie

I am trying to download the 3.52 version but am having a lot of trouble. Firstly from the description above do I have the official 1.50 PSP firmware (or how do I find out). I followed all the other steps as given by dark-alex but when I tried to run the PSP I got the message "File 150.PBP could not be opened. Any ideas???

Update to 3.80 M33, you'd have more luck with it as its the most recent firmware and I haven't had any problems with bugs / glitches yet. Also I don't see UMDS requiring 3.80 for some time now.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85647 <-- 3.80 M33 easy installer
    Last edited by Wally; January 30th, 2008 at 23:08.

DCEmu Newbie

Any of the forums I have looked at say that you need to have 3.52 before you try to download 3.80. Is this true??

DCEmu Newbie

Just a quick note to thank everyone who helped me - I GOT IT WORKING. Thanks a million!!

Thread Information