Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype is Live

Blog Entries

psp Skype is Live

Last night, IGN let you know that Firmware 3.90, which unlocks your PSP Slim's ability to use Skype, was out in Japan and hypothesized that the U.S. update would be coming soon.

Soon is now!

Yes, Sony Computer Entertainment America announced this morning that you can now fire up your PSP, download the update and get to using your PSP to make free calls to other Skype users over the Internet. You can also call non-Skype users (i.e. landlines and cell phones) for a fee.

How can you join this revolution? Sony broke it down for us …

Download and install the 3.90 firmware upgrade to the PSP-2000 system.

Connect the PSP system to the Internet at a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Attach a PSP Headset and the Remote Control from the PSP-2000 Headphones, and insert a Memory Stick Duo to save the Skype software.

Access the Skype/Sign In icon within the Network category of the XMB menu. First-time Skype users need to create a free account, while existing Skype users can simply enter their username/password.

To make a call, either access the Contacts icon and click on a name or scroll to the Dial icon.

What if I want to call a non-Skyper?
    While calling other Skype users is free, PSP owners can also purchase Skype Credit to make SkypeOut calls to landline and mobile phone numbers around the world. Skype Credit can be bought online at http://skype.com, accessible on your PSP system or a computer.

Pay As You Go: Place a pre-paid amount of Skype Credit in your account and then refill it as you need it. It's 2.1 cents per minute to Skype's 30 most popular destinations around the world.

Pay Monthly: Sign up for the Skype Pro premium subscription for $3.00/month. This gives you free calling to landlines and mobile phones within the U.S. and Canada (with no connection fee); a discounted rate for a personal online number (SkypeIn™) to receive calls; voicemail; and other features, such as the ability to pay nothing per minute for local calls when traveling to 29 other countries (connection fee applies).

You can also purchase a personal online number so you can receive calls wherever you are in the world with a subscription to SkypeIn for $60.00/year or $18.00/three months (save $36 on this feature with a Skype Pro subscription).

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/848/848561p1.html

So this means that 3.90 M33 is soon, I just hope i don't have to download 3.52 and keep on downloading updates for once.

Sounds nice, but I'm not much of a traveler, and I have no psp slim, maybe someday

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaDude View Post
    So this means that 3.90 M33 is soon, I just hope i don't have to download 3.52 and keep on downloading updates for once.
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's too small an update to just make a whole new custom firmware.
    Come Visit Homebrew Heaven, Where you'll find the latest gaming news and downloads!

View My Coding Blog

The Return of The Lounge!
    Mario Gold Rush
    Current C++ Project: To be Announced soon on Homebrew Heaven

Currently Coding in: C++ for the PSP

Well this is one step closer to the PSP phone.

I'm happy with my cell phone, thanks anyways. wi-fi spots aren't as plentiful as one might want.

If it was for the phats as well Skype would be really useful for me.

What about Furikup?

DCEmu Legend

psp

$3.00 a month to call landlines and cell phones? That beats any cell phone plan. Sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Safari Al View Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's too small an update to just make a whole new custom firmware.
    Really? You think so? I believe the contrary. I think the expanded POPS compatibility and Skype are 2 huge new features to the PSP's firmware. I would very much love to be able to use a 3.90 CFW if Dark_AleX and team decide to do it. I think most others would agree.

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    $3.00 a month to call landlines and cell phones? That beats any cell phone plan. Sign me up!

Really? You think so? I believe the contrary. I think the expanded POPS compatibility and Skype are 2 huge new features to the PSP's firmware. I would very much love to be able to use a 3.90 CFW if Dark_AleX and team decide to do it. I think most others would agree.
    And I believe they did, there is a thread about it in the Submit News forum. Praise DA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information