Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Emulation and Homebrew FAQ

Default Snes9x TYL version 0.2c Installations and Use Guide

SNES9X TYL-0.2c

This guide is written for users with 1.50 firmware PSP's.

Things I use: (Again, I am not including links for the downloads. Please make sure you have the following before going futher.)

1.50 PSP
    USB cable for your PSP
    SeiPSPTool
    Latest SNES9xTYL-0.2c emulator zip file
    Roms

Note: In this guide we are only using SeiPSPTool to get rid of the corrupted data icon image.

Lets get started:

BASIC SETUP

First lets go ahead and connect our PSP to the computer via the USB cable, and put our PSP into USB mode.

Go ahead and extract the contents of the SNES9xTYL-0.2c zip file into whatever folder you choose. For this guide, I have extracted the zip file into C:/SNES9xTYL/...

Now you want to copy the proper folders over to your PSP. Navigate to your folder where you extracted the zip contents. You should see this:

We are using 1.50 firmware version, so we want to use the contents of the following:

Now, you can close that out. Lets open up My Computer, and go into your PSP's memory stick. We are going to past the two folders into /PSP/GAME/...
    So, double-click on the PSP folder, then double-click on the GAME folder. Now press CTRL-V (paste). Now we have the emulator on the PSP. Read on...

You can either close the PSP drive out, or leave it open for later. Doesnt matter. You DO have to leave your PSP in USB mode though.

We are going to do a little cosmetic cleanup, so just follow the instructions below.

Run SeiPSPTool. Click on the Corrupted Icon option on the left. It looks like a torn piece of paper (see pic). Your PSP device should already be listed, if not, connect your PSP to your PC via USB cable and put the PSP into USB mode. Then click the REFRESH button, now choose your PSP drive letter.

Next type in the name of the folder we want to rename. In our example, the folder name is "s9xTYL" (without the quotes). Now click on RENAME. You'll notice your memory stick activity light start blinking. When its done, SeiPSPTool will let you know that the folders have be renamed.

This is what it looks like before clicking "rename":

We are done with the basic setup for the emulator, lets move on.

INSTALLING GAMES

With your PSP still in USB mode, open up My Computer (on your PC obviously). Double click on your PSP drive. Open up your /PSP/GAME/ folder and you'll see the two folders you just installed, click on the one without the % sign.

We want to create a new folder. There are two ways to do this:
    Click on FILE > New > New Folder
    Right-click > New > Folder

Name this new folder : ROMS <------ place all your roms here, leave them zipped.

So your file structure should look like this:
    /PSP/GAME/s9TYL-----spaces-------1/ROMS/...

Thats it for installing the games.

RUNNING SNES9x TYL-0.2c

Lets exit out of USB mode on your PSP and disconnect the USB cable.
    Next navigate to your memort stick by pressing the D-Pad 4 times to the right, and all the way down till you highlight the Memory Stick option. Press "X". You'll notice your new SNES icon, highlight it and press "X".

Next you'll be greeted with a welcome splash screen. Scroll down to the end of the "readme". I suggest reading the information, as it gives credit to the various people that helped with the project. It also has the information you'll need if you want to donate to their project. Finally, at the bottom, you'll see the basic controls for the emulator. After reading all this, at the bottom, press either "X" or "CIRCLE".

Press down to highlight the ROMS folder we created and press "X". You should see a list of the roms you transferred into your ROMS folder. Press "CIRCLE" to run the selected game.

SNES9x TYL-0.2c CONFIGURATION SETTINGS

After you have started your first game, you can enter into the config menu by tapping the analog nub to the left.

*** WARNING ***
    I am not going into detail of all these settings. I will explain what I have changed in the settings, and leave it at that. You use these settings at your own risk, and any other settings you modify.

If a setting is not listed below, I left it alone. Again, these settings are what I have on my PSP.
    -------------------
    SOUND: ON
    FREQUENCY: 44Khz
    -------------------
    GFX Engine: PSP accel.+accu.Soft
    Frameskip: AUTO
    Rendering: Zoom 4/3
    Render PAL as NTSC: OFF
    Smoothing: ON
    Speed Limit: ON
    Video Sync: OFF
    Gamma Correction: 0
    -------------------
    CPU Clock: 333mhz
    Show FPS: OFF
    -------------------

These are the settings that I personally use. If you want, you can save the above settings to be the default settings. Press down a few more times until you have highlight the "Save settings as DEFAULT settings" and press "CIRCLE".

You can always change these settings for better performance. All the games I play on it run just fine with the above settings. Remember, change these settings AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SUMMARY

Well, there you have it. If you have any questions please post them here, or email me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser
    By the way, Is there a way to link to a particular post or are you limited to just linking the page?
    You can. There is a post number at the upper right corner of every post. Just copy that link location and put it in your post.

Like this: Snes9x TYL-0.2c Guide.

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alright nice Snes guide. I'll do what you said to the front to get all the guides organized thanks again F34R.

F34R-Thanks for assistance with the NESTERJ info some people are just really stupid so i tried to make it as precise as possible.

Kaiser-thanks for the compliment.

Your welcome... Expect a genesis guide later this evening.

Blog Entries

Alright I'm going to restructure a few things on the FAQ and once those guides are finished the FAQ will be complete.

The Genesis is on hold till the 15th because of work.

Blog Entries

not a problem I'm really busy for the next week anyway

Might as well announce this here:

I have had a slight "disaster" at my house. My hot water heater developed a leak while my family was away from the home yesterday. For about 5 hours, the tank just poured water like it was a faucet.

Our house was pretty messed up. Flooding is the least of our problems right now. Bare with me on the guides and such, as we get all this mess cleaned up.

PSP User

For doing it the manual way, I think your instructions are just what to do for emulators. What about just games that don't need emulators to run them? I am trying to get DoomPSP to work, and I would really like to do it the manual way rather than through the programs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information