Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Access Point help

DCEmu Newbie

Default PSP Access Point help

Click me

I am looking for a super cheap way to get online with my PSP, my uncle came to my house the other day and said i'd be best to get an ACCESS POINT instead of a WIRELESS ROUTER. So I was looking at the item above which is quite cheap and wondered whether that would work with my PSP?

My uncle said it would, and he knows alot about computers but he doesn't know much about the PSP so thats why I am asking here.

I already have an ADSL BT router, my uncle said that all i'd have to do is connect the Wireless Access Point to the ADSL router and then it should be working.

So basically I just want to know if this access point will work, and will it alllow me to play online with games like Twisted Metal?

Thanks!

PS. Can you explain how it works? Where does the access point plug into, how far will the reception reach etc?

Thanks.

Another thing, my Laptop can connect wirelessly. Is there anyway my PSP could use the Laptop to connect to the internet?

If I was to connect my Laptop to my router via the USB or Ethernet cable, then turn the Wireless switch on, would my PSP beable to connect aswell?

(Probably not but I was just wondering)

alright...an wireless router IS working as an access point for wireless-compatible devices such as laptops, psp's, etc. if u can get your laptop connected, that probably means that u can get your psp connected as well in practically the same manner. try to get your psp connected by setting up a network in network config and scan for nearby networks to see if yours pops up. im not quite sure if your router supports 802.11g/b or just g. i heard somewhere that the psp might only support B and not g, so im not 100% it will work, but chances are it will. if your router is setup as a DHCP server, then it should be simple and all the "easy" and "automatic" settings should work just fine. if not, then u might have to do it manual. for manual input, generally, u can use all the settings u have for your laptop network settings such as DNS server, Default Gateway, subnet mask, etc, except for the ip address, which u should set 1 up or seomthing like that unless something else is using it. so like
    laptop=192.168.0.2
    psp= 192.168.0.3
    or
    laptop=192.168.1.1
    psp= 192.168.1.2
    something like that. again, if u have it setup as a DHCP server(which is usually the default) this wont be a problem and its all automatic.
    like i have my wireless router attached running DHCP with 2 desktops attached, 2 laptops wirelessly, and my psp all with ip address 192.168.0.(2-6)
    hope this helps, ask if u have any question, but im going to sleep for the next 10 hours or so, so gl til then

DCEmu Newbie

Right, im starting to understand this a bit more now. So, when I get this access point, how exactly will it connect?

I've just been searching Ebay and found THIS which is a wireless router.

Getting a wireless router will probably be much more easier to set up and use than an access point. But if you (or anyone else) can, could you please tell me if this Router would work?

I think I understand a the bit about 802.11g and b, I understand that g is the latest thing and b is a bit older. I also understand that the PSP only accepts b and possibly g.

I have an ADSL router, so would this wireless router replace it? Or will it just connect my wireless laptop and psp to the internet, while the ADSL router connects my PC to the internet?

Let me try and explain this...., I have a computer, Laptop and PSP. My PC is currently connected to the internet via a USB cable connected to my BT Voyager ADSL router. I also have a Laptop, my laptop is hardly ever used to go on the internet, but when I do want to go on the internet with it, I connect it to my BT Voyager ADSL Router via my Ethernet cable.

Now I want to connect my PSP to the internet, but obviously I cant do it wired as it has to connect wirelessly. So I need a wireless router. What I want to know is whether the wireless router will totally replace my BT router or will I be using both of them?

I really dont know alot about wireless networks and stuff so I need to make sure whatever I get will definately work. If I were to get the wireless router I linked above would I have to type in anything like an ip address or will it do everything automatically.

I dont understand the bit where you said :

for manual input, generally, u can use all the settings u have for your laptop network settings such as DNS server, Default Gateway, subnet mask, etc, except for the ip address, which u should set 1 up or seomthing like that unless something else is using it. so like
    laptop=192.168.0.2
    psp= 192.168.0.3
    or
    laptop=192.168.1.1
    psp= 192.168.1.2

is there anyway you could explain it differently so I can understand cause I have no idea what all that means.

Oh and on the Ebay auction the guy mentions this:

Please note that this is not a modem router and you will require an Ethernet Broadband Modem and NOT a USB Broadband Modem.

Is my BT Router the Broadband Modem? On my router I have a USB and an Ethernet port.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass.

Alright, if the only thing u have is the BT Voyager ADSL router which connects to the PC/laptop, i think this is your DSL/cable Modem. The modem u need for internet access, etc, etc and u connect it to your comp, but jsut to make sure, is this where u directly plug in the DSL/Cable wire?

With a router, you would instead of running the ethernet(not USB, this one doesnt support it) cable from the BT Voyager to your pc/laptop, u would run it into the router. from there, you can connect your comp/laptop directly to one of the 4 outgoing ethernet ports in the router.

The card that is advertised on the ebay kink will also allow u to connect your laptop wirelessly to the router(or maybe the laptop has a built-in card already) or u can connect it physically with an ethernet cable if you want. as this router doesnt support USB, u have to make sure that your PC has an ethernet port, but im pretty sure it would, as most do.

So i believe that this router, or a similar router, will work just fine. If your voyager is modem, then you would use both and plug the router into your bt voyager and your computers into the router.

also, im pretty sure it will do everything automatically and you wont need all the ip address', etc.
    also, for wireless security encryption, which u should turn on in the router settings if u decide to get it, the psp will only support WEP 64/128 bit encryption and not WPA-PSK, but its not as important right now.

I am pretty sure from what u told me that your BT Voyager is your broadband modem. As for the "manual input" stuff, from what i looked up on the router, im pretty sure it wont be a problem and it will be assigned automatically. if ya need anything else, ill try to check earlier tommorow, sry for today's late reply^^

edit: looked up the BT Voyager and it indeed seems to be a BT Voyager ADSL Modem, not router, so you will have to get a wireless router in order to get your psp online

DCEmu Rookie

Ok, this my connection

phone line----bt voyager 200 adsl modem-----linksys WRT54G wirless router-----cable to whatever(laptop or computer)

on recieving end is my xbox for xbox live and my PSP.

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks alot guys (especially PSP_Newbie). I know exactly what I need now. Just one thing, is there any wireless routers that you'd reccomend that are less than £40? Cheers.

DCEmu Newbie

Can I just ask: What is the difference between these two routers?

http://www.goto.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-R...ksys-WAG54G_UK

and

http://www.goto.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-R...eless_G_WRT54G

One is cheaper than the other, i've heard these being reccomended around a few places so im gonna go for this company's router, but which one do I get?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I know which one I need, it's the WAG one. But it's to expensive.

So, any routers I can get for £40?

i dont really specifically know any good cheap router; i got mine for some $60 or so, dunno how much that is in uk. as for the 2 routers, one thing i notice is that the WAG one doesnt mention anything about a DHCP protocol, which would be very convienient for you. DHCP is the what automatically assigns ip's to connecting devices so you dont have to setup the ip address, etc. anyway, just one more thing to go on

DCEmu Newbie

Im getting this one now: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45623

Can you tell me how far the reception will reach? Will it just be in one room or around my whole house? My house isn't huge like most american houses btw.

well, it says 1500ft, and generally, even with walls and floors, you could get it throughout your entire house.

like i have a Netgear WGT624v2, which is alright i guess, and i can get a good signal on the other side of the apartment, and still access internet on my laptop downstairs in the garage, so im pretty sure u would be able to connect anywhere in your house and even outside your house.

wireless routers generally have pretty good range. for instance, i can connect to the internet on my psp/laptop using 3 different networks around the apartement complex from my room

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information