Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW HOMEBREW: Wedgewars

Default NEW HOMEBREW: Wedgewars

Well, it's better than my ButtonMatch game...

----------------------------------------

Wedgewars / v0.1 / 11th August 2005

Intro:

Another ropey bit of Lua homebrew by Alex Carroll - Uses Shine's amazing LuaPlayer 0.7b (i think) see forums.ps2dev.org for the latest version of the player. And no, I've not forgotten about ButtonMatch...

Version History:

v0.1 / 11th August 2005

First public release. It's probably not quite ready yet, but I'll feel more motivated to work on it now it's out there. =)

How to install:

1.0 users need to copy all the files from "Wedgewars" (without the %) into the folder, except (obviously) eboot.pbp, otherwise the game won't run. At all. Files you need to copy: "fire.wav", "land.wav", "script.lua", "tanx_back.png" and "tank_intro.png". *

1.5 users simply drop the two folders inside the "1.5" directory into the usual place in PSP/GAME/. Shine's LuaPlayer is quite happy with hiding corrupted files with something like SEI, too, so don't worry about that.

Please note that the 1.0 eboot file is untested.

How to play:

Well, it's not terribly deep just yet. It's essentially a little 'Tanx' clone, using cute 2D vector graphics - and requires two players otherwise it's a bit dull (no AI yet). Player one uses the Dpad to move and aim the turret, and holds left trigger for power (think Worms' Bazooka). Player two uses the face buttons on the other side, and right trigger for power. Simply try and hit each other with the shells...

To come:

* Enemy AI for one player modes.
    * Lots more modes (target practice, basketball etc)
    * Scoring/Lives/Damage in 2 player modes, that sort of thing.
    * Better Sound (I'm thinking whistling stereo bullets)
    * More levels (than just the dull flat one)
    * Bouncing shells (off the walls at the sides)
    * Explosions
    * Other stuff, probably.

Legal:

Shine might have his own thoughts on LuaPlayer's copyright but THIS SOURCE CODE may NOT appear on any eBay auction (links, downloads, CDs or otherwise) or ANY pre-built memory stick if any cash or other monetary value changes hands. It's FREE!

Everyone else can post it to their sites/blogs if they want, no exceptions as of now. Any comments or suggestions please email to [email protected]

Neither the code NOR this readme may be edited before posting it on your site.

The code's well commented - might be of use to someone...

Neither I or anyone associated with this homebrew can accept any responsibility for any damage caused to your PSP should you choose to use it.

* - yes, it was previously called "Tanx"

screenshots and download here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/wedgewars.shtml

Cool Thank you alex

You know ive learned at least 75 % of what I know about programing with lua from your examples

I cant wait to study the scrip to this and see what new tid bits I can learn

I find you work to be very enjoyible and and informitive to the aspireing coder

Thanks mate, but seriously, my code really isn't the best example of Lua scripting. Look at Shine's Snake and the music/sound examples in the latest build of LuaPlayer, as I've got some terrible habits... It's always best to look at the originals, rather than stuff that's got watered out and diluted to suit, IMO.

I've commented Wedgewars, though - so if nothing else people can rip my 2D projectile motion routines for something more substantial... A pinball game might be nice.

Blog Entries

nice release, loved the background, cant ya use some sprites/graphics from the old Red Alert 2 modding scene. Theres bound to be some stuff that could be used

just wondering, is it even possible to convert C++ to psp? or is that a stupid question?

PSP Coder

xuphorz, you code for the PSP in C++, or at least that's what I've gathered.

Lua seems like a pretty easy language to learn though.

Quote Originally Posted by MSX
    xuphorz, you code for the PSP in C++, or at least that's what I've gathered.

Lua seems like a pretty easy language to learn though.
    oh, i thought the psp sdk was a seperate language all together

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster
    nice release, loved the background, cant ya use some sprites/graphics from the old Red Alert 2 modding scene. Theres bound to be some stuff that could be used
    My first version had sprites, but I just loved the vector look. You'll see once you see the explosion effects... =)

Blog Entries

to me this seems the best way for noobs to get into some type of coding on the PSP

im gonna move this to the Hosted Projects forum with all the other great releases

vghj
    ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information