Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toshiba pulling the plug on HD DVD already? - Yup it's over.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko01 View Post
    That is not going to happen any time soon. HD media takes a large amount of space, which would both take a long time to download, AND would fill up your hard drive quickly. Also, what small number of people have a computer connected to their TV? Not many actually do. People want a way to go out to the store and buy a physical copy of the video and put it directly into a player on their TV, because that is the easiest way to do it. Also, you have no proof that Microsoft plans to launch this any time soon. It would also cost them a lot of money for something that they don't even know would work. Apple has already started this anyway, so Microsoft has no way of catching up because of how much content they already have up, and a large number of people already have accounts with them.

And why would Microsoft spend a large amount of money toward something that they knew was going to fail? That part of your post really makes no sense to me.
    you do realise the large amount microsoft paid is probly a verry small portion of their available funds. the faxt is the xbox and windows media edition is the first steps to getting all media to revolve around microsoft and as for people with pc's connected to a tv that number is going to rise dramaticly since the new card are coming out with hdmi built in so you dont need a dvi to hdmi converter.

ms already basicaly have pc's and no1 can take it from them and are always looking for new things to take over xbox and is to try to over turn sony and the zune was an attempt to hammer another nail into apple's coffin. ms are only looking for ways to make things go in their favour they could just about buy and sell any company and money isnt a problem as on the orriginal xbox every console sold cost microsoft its the same with the 360.

Actually, sales show that Macs are gaining popularity. Plus, no company would throw away money on purpose. And what is this "new card" you are talking about? There are already PCI cards available that have HDMI out, but still, the average consumer doesn't want to attempt to connect a computer to their TV in any way. That would be too much of a difficulty for most people. It is much easier just to connect a disc-based player to your TV and when you want to use it, just putting something in instead of having to load up the file on your computer, swap video output, swap audio output, and then run it off of there (which is likely not to have a remote control). A disc based system is both cheaper and more convenient for most people.

Plus another thing, when you download a file, it is usually DRM protected, but in any case, you can not re-sell the file if you don't want it anymore like you can with a physical copy. That way, you're stuck with the stuff you have and can't really get any money back from trading it in or something. Plus, you can't buy used files either. A file would work completely differently from physical media.

bleh,microsux is floundering anyway.Major probs with 360(now falling behind in sales),nobody really likes slowass vista and the hd-dvd(I know it's not "theirs",they only back it) failing.The facts pretty much say their stuff sucks.Bet all of those people who bought hd-dvd addons are pissed.

Meh, I could kind of see it coming with the stupid business decisions Toshiba made, like buying a CELL plant from Sony for a billion! (Probably the supposed money used to buy Warner and bundle in players with TVs!) And of course their was no word that the studios supporting HD DVD were actually talking to Speilberg, Cameron, etc to negoitate terms for release of their films and what not. I still love my HD DVD collection though, and I plan on keeping it, and getting in on the supposed fire sale that will start.

DCEmu Legend

The thing of it is, Sony, Toshiba and IBM all worked on the Cell together, so Toshiba buying a Cell production facility isn't such a bad business move...

However, if they are dropping HD-DVD I don't see this war lasting too much longer. Unless one of the other companies in the HD-DVD Association decides to buy production facilities and take the reigns.

Oh well, better sooner than later; these format wars really suck and I am glad that this one will end soon.

Well they gave Sony a billion dollars in december, money that they could have used to better promote HD DVD, money they probably wish they had now. Sure it was a good long term move, but in the short term it cost them more money and a valuable battle to a company seen has a "loser".

Quote Originally Posted by Elven6 View Post
    Well they gave Sony a billion dollars in december, money that they could have used to better promote HD DVD, money they probably wish they had now. Sure it was a good long term move, but in the short term it cost them more money and a valuable battle to a company seen has a "loser".
    Toshiba knew where HD-DVD was headed, they have a large stake in the Cell, and the only product so far is the PS3. Real investment placed wisely?

Lol i was going to buy the HDDvD addon for my xbox 360 this week, so i guess not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    Toshiba knew where HD-DVD was headed, they have a large stake in the Cell, and the only product so far is the PS3. Real investment placed wisely?
    At that time the future of neither format was clear, Toshiba already had 50% stake in the plant itself, so Sony asked if Toshiba wanted the other half for the 1 billion. Of course no studio will choose a side for the hell of it like Warner and Paramount had done, so I can belive the rumors of Warner and Fox being paid more to go/stay Blu, I bet the money that Toshiba gave them was used to fund the switch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information