Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCEmu Asks - Atari Jaguar a History & Whats the greatest Atari Jaguar Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News DCEmu Asks - Atari Jaguar a History & Whats the greatest Atari Jaguar Game Ever ?

Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

Atari Jaguar
    With Sega and Nintendo battling neck and neck with their 16-bit platforms, Atari seized the opportunity to return to the console market after 7 years. A small company calling themselves 'Flare 1' were on the verge of developing a multiprocessor console. Needing the funding to develop it further, they approached Atari Corp. Atari was trying to develop their own console code named ?Panther?at the time. They jumped on the offer, and development for the ?Flare 2? continued alongside the ?Panther?. Eventually plans for the 32-bit Panther were scrapped for the renamed 64-bit Jaguar.

The Atari Jaguar was released in the United States on December of 1993. The console was manufactured by IBM. Atari boasted the system as being the first 64-bit console. They also boasted about a host of developers and a hundreds of games being created for the system. The system had amazing technical specs for it?s time. The console contained 5 processors mounted on 3 chips. One was a traditional Motorola 68000, and the other two were nicknamed ?Tom? and ?Jerry?.

The use of the Motorola 68000 was a reason that the Jaguar?s validity as a 64-bit was put to question. You see... the Motorola 68000 is a 16-bit processor, and 2 others were 32-bit. Only 2 processors were actually 64-bit, but all the registers and buses were in fact 64-bit. Regardless the machine had a ton of potential.

So what exactly happened? Even with so many developers announced (158 developers) many of the game titles never saw the light of day. Many never got further than the planning stage. It was not just game titles that failed to arrive, neither did some of the consoles peripherals (An overly hyped Virtual Reality headset for example). The Jaguar?s cartridge game media had limited storage space, and failed to tap the abilities of the Jaguar. Out of 55 total carts made for Jaguar only 22 were created by outside developers. Developers were simply not ready to handle a console with multiple processors. This became obvious with many of the game released. Some games were simply ports of 16-bit titles with improved color. Others were enhanced ports of older Atari classics (though this was not a bad thing with some of them (Tempest 2000 was a best seller for the system). Others still seemed to be rushed afterthoughts in an effort to cash in. 3rd Party developer support was pretty much nonexistent.

In 1995 Atari finally wised up and created a CD-ROM add on to tap the 700+ megabit CD format. The Jaguar CD retailed for $150, and came equipped with a double speed CD-ROM capable of running Jaguar games, Audio CD?s, and CD+G?s. Games could run full motion video at 24 frames per second. The Jaguar CD also featured a built in Virtual Light Machine (color and visual effects that react to the music and sounds). The add-on connected to the Jaguar through the cartridge slot, but had it?s own pass through slot so Jaguar carts could still be played. The package also included the Tempest 2000 soundtrack audio disc, a sampler for the CD game "MYST", and two CD-ROM games: "Vid Grid" and "Blue Lightning".

The Jaguar CD was a an impressive deal, but it came too late. Interest was growing with the 32-bit CD based Sony and Sega consoles. The Jaguar CD saw only 9 additional CD titles. Atari seeing a need to regain interest due to failing sales began spreading news of a Jaguar II. In 1996 however Atari Corp entered a reverse merger with a company called JTS. All Jaguar products became liquidated, and Jaguar became a fond memory.

Jaguar could have been an amazing console if software took better advantage of it?s 5 processor capability. One game however appeared toward the end of Jaguars life cycle, and showed what the console could do. The graphics in 'Aliens VS Predator' were amazing for their time, and could have possibly inspired a Jaguar purchase. If only it arrived sooner.

FACT: Atari's main advertisement campaign was under the slogan "Do the Math!" Their point being 'Why would I buy a 32-bit system for 300 dollars when I can get a 64-bit Jaguar system for 149?'

The Atari Jaguar featured many ports. Among them was a COM I/O port capable of networking up to 26 Jaguar consoles for multiplayer play, or linking to the Atari Lynx as a specialized controller. Both features were never utilized, but eventually would be features found in future videogame consoles.

Check out AtariAge for tons of info, FAQS, features, game reviews, and more.

Whats the Best Atari Jaguar Game ?

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here

Previous History Topics:

Xbox a History & Whats the greatest Xbox Game Ever ?
    DCEmu Asks - Colecovision a History & Whats the greatest Colecovision Game Ever ?
    DCEmu Asks - Master System a History & Whats the greatest Master System Game Ever ?
    3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?
    PC Engine a History & Whats the greatest PC Engine Game Ever ?
    Atari2600 a History & Whats the greatest Atari2600 Game Ever ?
    Playstation2 a History & Whats the greatest PS2 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo 64 a History & Whats the greatest Nintendo 64 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?
    Sega Dreamcast a History & Whats the greatest Dreamcast Game Ever ?
    Nintendo NES / Famicom a History & Whats the greatest NES Game Ever ?
    Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?

DCEmu Rookie

Its dificult to choose a good game in Jaguar ... Myst maybe

Tempest 2000, easily the best reason to own an Atari Jaguar, all the other games were complete drivel, I remember throwing mine down the stairs coz it was so bad!!!

Mike..

1) Tempest 2000
    2) Iron Soldier
    3) Doom
    4) Wolfenstein
    5) Rayman

Best Graphic: Alien vs Predator

CDRom - Nothing

Agreed. Tempest 2000 FTW, with AvP a close second. Cannon Fodder is OK but as a multi-format title it's done better elsewhere.

Not really a lot of competition on this format is there?

Go on - somebody vote for Kasumi Ninja! :thumbup::rofl:

DCEmu Rookie

Alien VS Predator is one of the WORST RayCasting Engine games ever created

The Raycasting Engine of Doom (SNES) is way better (and the SNES SFX was no developed to do trigonometric calcs)

DCEmu Coder

I only bought a Jag because I managed to get a copy of Tempest 2000, it's absolutely awesome.

And yes, most Jag games bite, I managed to pick up 6 boxed Jag games for a £1 once at a local gamestore as noone was buying them, which included Doom, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate and Tempest 2000

"rayman" rocked my world and is still one of my favorite games of all time (rayman 2 on the dreamcast was a very worthy successor).

"tempest 2000" was incredible through i never took the time to make a rotary dial controller as many a fansite gave construction instructions.

"alien vs. predator" was quite a system selling cart - basically three games in one - play as a marine for a doom like experience, play as a predator and receive score based on the sporty ways you kill marines and aliens (stealthkilling a marine before he could scream was very satisfying), or play as an alien so you could get into more cramped spaces and you were expendable (if you'd harvested a marine and the cocoon was mature at the time you died your game would continue there).

in "iron soldier" even the trees exploded and cutting through buildings with a giant chainsaw was beautiful.

i really dug "highlander" for the cd add-on. based on some failed cartoon series, it was one of the few games that made use of the 18 (yes, 18) button controller for the swordplay: swing, jab, parry, block etc. (i wouldn't see weapon combat more advanced until blade of darkness for the pc, though the ai in highlander didn't really make use of combating all of those inputs).

i miss the silly plastic keypad covers that came with most every game (avp came with three - one for each species). each would slip over the keypad to map additional controls beyond the face buttons. it was reminiscent of the bygone era when pc games were so convoluted that cardboard cut outs covered you keyboard to map functions - thank god for on screen displays today. i think those actual keyboards designed for specific games or with slight modularity failed miserably at the beginning of this decade.

on a side note, this was my most profitable system, as i purchased systems and games in lots off ebay from people trying to dump them, take whatever games out i didn't own, and sell the rest individually for a great profit. i never did get my hands on the elusive and rare $100 "atari karts" but that game sucked anyway.
    Last edited by onetwentyeight; February 10th, 2008 at 16:17.

DCEmu Newbie

Whats the Best emulator for Jaguar?

DCEmu Rookie

Project Tempest, better than Jagulator or Virtual Jaguar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information