Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Homebrew - Pandora Console ?

damn that's cool!

i will buy this if some cool emus are released on it, very cool if nds emu will come to it..

i want it!

It seems Exophase has some confidence in its release, or he KNOWS its going to be released. That is really good cause the design of this hand held to me looks ugly as hell, but its an amazing design imo. Small keyboard (yes I know its not for like big time typing) but it gets the job done like Exophase said. Duel analog sticks (OMG that is where the PSP went wrong!) SD Cards are so cheap and we get to ports for those, so that is kind of nice on storage capacity. The power behind the consul is very strong, I wish we had a more set in stone mhz speed to be expecting. Wifi will be amazing, I can picture it now N64 online like Killera =) (maybe thats just wishful thinking)

Anyway I just hope the price doesn't bump up way passed $350, or they're forced to milk down the system to keep prices low enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    ARM® Cortex™-A8 CPU running Linux
    800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
    OpenGL 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
    Wifi 802.11b/g
    Dual SDHC card slots
    Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
    43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
    TV output
    High Speed USB Host
    Well, something like this is going to need a rather large reply.

This is the first non-big name company video game system I have ever been excited about. Seriously, this thing is ****ing awesome. Allow me to go through the specs:

ARM® Cortex™-A8 CPU running Linux - Well, I don't know much about the processor, nor do I know much about Linux, but I know it's open source so we should be seeing a lot of good stuff without having to actually hack this thing.

800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD - All I can say is "wow". That is the largest screen I have seen on any portable device (besides laptops) ever. And touchscreen? Hey, if this thing hits major stores, the screen alone could be enough to trump both the DS and PSP.

OpenGL 2.0 compliant 3D hardware - And it's even going to have some kick-ass 3D. I'm hoping this upper-gen emulators, like PSX or Saturn, because not too many handhelds can do those very well.

Wifi 802.11b/g - This is what worries me...will we have a decent web browser? Now, obviously people will use this for its amazing multiplayer capabilities, but the web browser is what we all will end up using. Remember how excited everyone was around the time of the release of PSP firmware version 2.00? I'm hoping we'll get to experience something similar with the Pandora.

Dual SDHC card slots - To tell you the truth, I have never heard of a device with dual SD slots, but it can only mean one thing--an assload of storage.

Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls - The analog stick (and to an extent, the D-pad) on the PSP and DS were disappointments. The PSP analog stick was too small and slide-y, the D-pad sucked for free-roaming 3D games, and the DS D-pad was waaay to clicky. Hopefully we will get some nice controls on this.

43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad - LOL now we're talking! This is truly a unique idea. There's never going to be a problem with control mapping again, and it will be nice to finally chat normally.

TV output - Not much to say here, except it's a nice add-on.

High Speed USB Host - USB hosting? I guess that means we would be able to use a laptop or external hard drive for storage rather than just the SD cards, which would be pretty cool.

Overall - I'm hoping this device will find a happy medium between kick-ass original 3D games and a rich selection of emulators. And the technology here is amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing one of these in action.

And does anyone know if this is going to be an "online-only" deal or will we actually see this baby retailing in GameStop?
    You don't need to know my mental status. You probably don't want to, either.

September 5th, 2005:
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R
    There wont be a N64 emu on the PSP. Not one that is playable anyways.
    Need LocationFree help? Send me a PM!

DCEmu Rookie

Ok...128MB ddr ram, if its expandable, AWSOME! if not, eh well no big loss given what homebrew's out for the ds with only 4MB ram.

$330 bucks american? Uh sorry, I could pick up a EEE for just a little more, so why would I buy this instead of something a little bigger with alot more ram, and a full desktop os installed?

If the price dropps I'll be all over it like a fat man on a cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeric View Post
    Ok...128MB ddr ram, if its expandable, AWSOME! if not, eh well no big loss given what homebrew's out for the ds with only 4MB ram.

$330 bucks american? Uh sorry, I could pick up a EEE for just a little more, so why would I buy this instead of something a little bigger with alot more ram, and a full desktop os installed?

If the price dropps I'll be all over it like a fat man on a cupcake.
    The price behind hardware like this is beyond exceptional. Remember your talking about a portable device not some desktop that sits in your room. So "no" you won't be upping the ram, rather you really don't need to anyway, 128mb of ram is commendable for any portable device. Put it in the perspective the PSP only has 32mb of ram, and that hand held is capable of a lot. The price is extremely low in my eyes, I just hope it doesn't raise.

I don't know, this looks like it's too good to be true

But if they can fit all those ports, keyboard, gaming controls and touchscreen. I'll definitely get one

How is the memory capacity, I mean Hard drive, memory stick or what? (if it was on the specs I missed it, and I'm too lazy to go back )

edit: lol sorry, Dual SDHC card slots

Assuming this thing really comes out (Which I think it will, historically CraigX hasn't been one to make jokes) I think it will sell over the web only just like Gp2x. This device is amazing, I really hope the price doesnt rise. I mean really Dual SDHC that means you can get up to 64 gig in there! I have an 8 gig SDHC I have yet to fill so Ill pry use that and another 8 gig. I really hope this device has a bit more commercial devlopers than Gp2x but its not necessary. And the CPU wow, according to ARM it can go up to over 1ghz which is pretty damn impressive. If this gets released and stays this price It will be king!
    Last edited by abeisgreat; February 24th, 2008 at 18:34.

DCEmu Rookie

About the desktop/portable comment. the EEE is a subnotebook that, while small, is stil lbigger than this and has a few other belsl n whistles. Me personally, I WANT this. Its pocket portible, meaning I don't have ot have a shoulder tote or the like, just grab n go. For me this's good as my handwriting is utter Fail and being albe to take notes, or flat out write(i'm tryng to get a bit of fiction work done for a deadline in may) would be a godsend as the DS's been....less than satisfying on that count(dso, the best app for the ds Fails, constaintly eats my work, and has no text formatting capability).

Ideas on battery life? I'm guessing roughly a three hour span if we're lucky, but even so thats' a decent battery life for something of this capability.

USB, I'll definately want to know more on usb as i could see lots of uses on that one(2nd player when hooking it up to a tv, or attaching a fullsized keyboard, or an external drive, ect ect we've heard this before).

TV out. Wait is this going to be the old red/yellow/white cabling or is there so mway to hook this to newer tvs(I don't own a new hd set so i don't know if they have the red/yellow leads out anymore).

OS: Linux is a good thing. The problem is things like flash and the like on non-x86 processers are handled by open apps like gnash and such(which a friend of mine that runs linux off an imac constaintly complains about being non-working and or glitchy). So I'm not expecting youtubing or thel ike(though that would be awsome). Still, so long as the basic word processing/media player(and picture viewing)/web browsing is covered I'll be happy even if NO console specific games get put out.

Naitive Games: How're htye gonna be handled, downloadable content onto your microsd card? Pripritary flash carts? I personally ee the former since asthey don't have the ability to compete in brick and morter with the big buys they have to do a digital distribution model. The question then becomes how to stop piracy for the commercial titles, an in-built steamlike app?

This handheld looks awesome, I just hope it sells well

DCEmu Newbie

Is this the handheld that was talked about months ago that Craig and co were working on?

The only negative I can see from this is the positioning of the gaming controls. They seem a little high up and possibly uncomfortable to use. Apart from that this looks excellent. I never bought a GP2X after thinking long and hard I was put off by being powered by AA batteries so this could be the homebrew console I've been waiting for.

Thread Information