Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Get Homebrew Working on The Wii Tutorial

Blog Entries

Rev How To Get Homebrew Working on The Wii Tutorial

Finally in the last few weeks we have seen real Native Wii Homebrew working. (previously it was Gamecube Homebrew on the Wii but Nintendo blocked that route meaning you needed a Modchip to play Gamecube Homebrew on the Wii.

Things Needed

Nintendo Wii

UK US or Jap Version

Gamecube SD Card Adapter

Available at Play Asia

SD Card

1GB or higher should be OK

A copy of Zelda (It must match the version of console, ie US Zelda on a US WII)

UK / US / Jap Version

First check

On the Zelda Disc on the side thats played look for the following strings:

This exploit does not work with every version of Zelda:TP. Easy way to check your version is to compare the text string which is on the inner cycle of the data surface with the ones below.

RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN - working
    Some minor problems reported e.g. Some greeny lines around the top area of the screen that appear with the penguin and if the TV type is set to 480i/p (60Hz or EDTV mode) the bottom is cut off

RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN - working
    RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA - working
    RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA - working (if you encounter problems with alpha2, re-download the latest rzde2.bin)
    RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN - not supported yet

Next Job

Extract the Twilight hack zip archive into any folder.

Grab your SD Card and on it

Make a new folder on it and rename private

inside private folder make a new folder and rename wii

inside wii folder make a new folder and rename title

inside title folder make a new folder and rename RZDE (for USA)
    RZDP (for Pal)
    RZDJ (for Japan)

Then from the Twilight hack grap the file you need and rename to data.bin - stick that inside the RZDE (change to suit your system) Folder.

Next

Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii. Find your Zelda save, click on it, and click "Erase", and click Yes.

Now, go into SD card, and select the "Twilight Hack" save (the icon says "Wiibrew Loader"). Click copy, and yes. Now, go back out of that menu

Then start the game. Select the first save file (called Twilight Hack), complete the brightness setting, and talk to the man in front of you.

The Elf Loader Will then load You now have Wii Homebrew , what it will say is "Coming Soon Elf Loader and Beyond with a big fat penguin sitting there

Next is the harder part and it may be where a lot of you will fail and believe me i dont think its easy either but here goes.

Now you will need the demo.elf file from the Twilight Hack zipfile

You will also need Writeelf, once you have downloaded it then extract it to your desktop.

Now you should have the writeelf file and the demo.elf file on your desktop.

Now heres where unless you have used command lines before you may struggle.

I had to move the 2 files to my c:/documents and settings/billy folder because when i opened up the Command Prompt that is the folder it started in.

Now my SD Card showed up on my J Drive so this is the command i pasted into the command prompt box:

writeelf -f=demo.elf j

basically you can use this for any wii homebrew by renaming the file say tetris.elf to demo.elf or by changing the command above to whatever.elf you need. The J part is the drive that your SD Card is on so again change that to the drive you need. (do not change it to your C or Windows drive)

If successfull then it will write to the file

Then grabbing your SD Card insert it into the Gamecube SD Card Adapter, then insert that into Slot A on the Gamecube Memory port on the Nintendo Wii.

Then start the game. Select the first save file (called Twilight Hack), complete the brightness setting, and talk to the man in front of you.

The Elf Loader Will then load and you now will see the Demo and you are in the World of Wii Homebrew

This method can be reused for any new releases , so yes its not easy but if your a homebrew fan im sure you will try it , hopefully an easier way will be released that doesnt need require you to use command lines via a command prompt.

As Usual Please Discuss Via Comments and thanks to Wii Brew for the Twilight Hack and for some of the instructions that ive tried to simplifiy and make a little more sense of them.

DCEmu Regular

That's all nice and stuff. But what version of Zelda works for the uk version?

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if this could possibly work with the gamecube version of zelda?

DCEmu Newbie

I had to use the command
    writeelf -f=demo.elf -s=2048 X
    (X is the drive letter) or it wouldn't find anything on the card and said something about maybe it's a .dol

DCEmu Rookie

im with rotvedas, is there a specific zelda tp that i would have to use in the uk all do all versions of zelda tp in the uk work with this exploit?

DCEmu Newbie

The world today that cannot use DOS...

DCEmu Newbie

I got the mp3 player working.....

it sounds horrible .... but it works
    I got the snes emulator to run (but had no roms to test)

but with both I had to specify the sector or they would not load.. it might be my particular SD card

anyway I had to write with my laptop(under XP)... vista won't let any program issue commands directly to hardware

I have NO problems with dos.

DCEmu Newbie

Shouldn't there be a way to do this by using Linux :P?

DCEmu Newbie

linux can do this with just a command no extra software needed

I saw it on here under the tetris homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by thefanaticgamer View Post
    Just out of curiosity does anyone know if this could possibly work with the gamecube version of zelda?
    Yep, I managed to get it working last month. It took me a while to get it running, but it was well worth it. Zelda is a great game!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information