Thread: Has a software hack been considered for v2.0?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Has a software hack been considered for v2.0?

(just read my message again and realized that the current exploits are software-based too, but read "software exploit" as "a different type of exploit currently used")

Hello,

I have to admit that I don't have a PSP yet and I know nothing about developing for it (at least yet).

It seems that most hacking is focused on downgrading the 2.0 version firmware to the earlier versions, but has anyone considered a software exploit? These are quite successful with Xbox.

It seems the easiest and most error prone component of the new 2.0 firmware is the browser component. Unless Sony took some kind of special steps to prevent buffer overflows and similar exploits, I don't see why it couldn't work.

There are utilities such as mangleme that are designed to produce invalid HTML that can crash browsers. An alternate route would be creating "corrupted" save games (it guess that games are coded with lower standards for checking input than the firmware).

DCEmu Newbie

from what I hear all 2.0 umd software is double encrypted and the only way to run software on a 2.0 psp is to have it double encrypted the same way... or something like that... *points to self* not a hacker *stops pointing at self*

DCEmu Newbie

Ehm. I'm talking about a basic buffer overflow. Unless they have some sort of stack-smashing protection in there (doubtful, since it'd be extra overhead on a portable system), code executed thru a buffer overflow will bypass any "signed-code only" requirements. This is how it works on the Xbox.

Thread Information