Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acclaim Forsaken Open Source!!!

Default Acclaim Forsaken Open Source!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~wlm00/files.htm

Source code is here (it's abandonware now).

Minimum Forsaken requirements are:
    P166 / P133 with 3D acc.
    16MB RAM

Recommended requirements are:
    Pentium 233
    32MB RAM

And PSP has:
    333 MHz
    32MB RAM

So PSP can play Forsaken at playable speeds. Please, somebody try to port it... I want this game on PSP really badly!

EDIT: For people that don't know, Forsaken is Descent clone. It was made by Acclaim in 1998. Game is abandonware now.

Multi Player gameplay video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=e6u81paVpps

Single Player gameplay video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=FOKk6YuQgYc
    Last edited by michalt441; March 2nd, 2008 at 15:07.

Was the source officaly released? Abandonware has become such a broad term.

I'm not sure as I don't know all info about game, but I know that game is abandonware now, so you can get full version for free 100% legal. And on this page, where you can get the full version, there's also OpenSource for ProjectX.

So please someone try port it on PSP!

Quote Originally Posted by michalt441 View Post
    I'm not sure as I don't know all info about game, but I know that game is abandonware now, so you can get full version for free 100% legal. And on this page, where you can get the full version, there's also OpenSource for ProjectX.

So please someone try port it on PSP!
    You can also get Windows 2000, Office 2003, etc from abandonware sites, but that dosen't mean their legal. Thats why im asking.

Yeah, Microsoft stuff isn't abandonware, but Forsaken is an old game and does not have any official support from now on. So this game has been marked as abandonware. I read all of it at www.ForsakenPlanet.tk. And we know PSP can handle it. So why don't anyone try to port it on Playstation Portable?

By the way, just to quickly show this game, I made this little video of me playing it. Enjoy
    http://video.google.pl/videoplay?doc...99314858&hl=pl
    Last edited by michalt441; March 6th, 2008 at 20:42.

That may be true, but rules are rules, if the source code is legal then it may have a chance. Even if it is illegal and is ported, don't count on getting the file the old fashioned way, your gonna have to go through a VERY long process.

I know it wouldn't be as good as a port to the PSP of the PC game, but have you played the PS1 version through pops?

Elven6 is right, abandonware very often does not mean legal. Just because the company no longer supports their game/app doesn't mean it becomes public domain.

Hey I just saw the cover of this game, I remember seeing it when it came out, haven't try it though.

I also tried to find some info on the source code, and I can't find any. Acclaim (The Original Bad Ass one) went "bankrupt" in 2004 or so, they lost all their ips, theirs been no word on who picked up Forsaken's, but I can assure you the new acclaim does not have it.

Okay. Okay. Sorry, I didn't know it's not open source. Please somebody delete this thread... And I won't get to blast some enemies while flying inside the ship
    Last edited by michalt441; March 9th, 2008 at 16:21.

Smile Current Status

The rights to the game is a bit up in the air at the moment. But the court case is still in progress and as far as I can see the rights were never sold. At first discovery the rights will be acquired legally. As for now their is no known owner of the rights that is still in existence so the game can be considered abandonware cause nobody will come after you. If Microsoft was to go into bankruptcy today nobody would come after you for installing their software...

So currently the game has been renamed to "community edition" until the source code is officially ported and open sourced.

To many updates have been done to the game to list here. One of the goals is to port it to open libraries such as they did for descent series. This will allow it to be playable on any platform... Currently it's playable on mac and linux after various wine patches that were included pre wine-1.0...

The player community is still active with players that have been around for 10 years.

You can find more information on the community and how to play the game at the following site.

http://fly.thruhere.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information