Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: EDGE Card DS SLOT-1 MicroSDHC

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

NDS Review: EDGE Card DS SLOT-1 MicroSDHC

EDGE Card DS SLOT-1 MicroSDHC
    Manufacturer: EDGE
    Site: Buy from Colourful Zone / Buy from Colourful Zone (Kingston 4GB MicroSDHC)
    Price: $41.99 (EDGE) / $49.99 (4GB MicroSDHC)

Overview : EDGE is a multi functional media adapter for NDS. It accepts MicroSD and MicroSDHC cards. EDGE allows use of Homebrew DS applications, multimedia (via Moonshell) and commercial NDS applications via the SD interface. EDGE is easy to use, just load the EDGE OS (download from support section) onto the MicroSD together with your favourite applications, plug into EDGE then insert the EDGE cartridge into the DS and you're ready to go!

Features:
    • Supports MicroSDHC cards up to 32GB
    • Plays Commercial NDS ROM
    • Plays Homebrew NDS ROMS
    • Touch to execute OS system
    • Works with Moonshell for multimedia playback such as movies and MP3's
    • Frequently updated OS for best compatibility
    • Action Replay compatible cheat system
    • Brighntess adjustment for NDSL
    • In game reset
    • Full download play support
    • Supports slot 2 expansions
    • Multi language user interface
    • Save game saves directly to Micro SD
    • Automatic save game type detection
    • Supports clean ROMs
    • Robust non-spring loaded Micro SD slot
    • Micro SDHC card reader included

Quality/Usability : The first thing you'll notice is the unique design of the packaging of the EDGE Card DS. Its nothing something we usually see with other flash carts. The packaging isnt your usual square or rectangular. Its in the shape of a triangle and held closed with a EDGE elastic band. The packaging itself is made of 4 cardboards pieces glued on top of each other with the cover being a sheet of cardboard held together with a single screw. The back of the packaging gives you instructions on how to setup the EDGE.

As mentioned above, instructions are on the back of the packaging due to the unique design. There is no way to place instruction booklets or even CD with necessary files. However, you can download EDGE OS files from their website. The EDGE contains a MicroSDHC card reader and EDGE Slot-1 Card.

The EDGE card is a 1:1 sized DS Cart. In other words, its exactly the same size as an original DS game. Like most flash carts, the front usually has a slight bump protruding under the sticky which is usually the chip but with the EDGE, its not really noticeable when you look at it. You can feel the chip underneath the sticker but very slightly. The MicroSD card is inserted at the top but is not spring loaded.

Since the EDGE supports SDHC (up to 32GB), Colourful Zone was nice enough to supply us with a Kingston 4GB MicroSDHC card and the EDGE had no problem reading the MicroSD.

Setup is probably as easy as it gets. As mentioned, since EDGE does not come with a CD with software, you will have to download the EDGE OS files from their website. The firmware file consists of a "EDGE.dat" file and a "EDGE" folder. The folder contains a "cheat.dat" that contains cheat codes for DS games. Once EDGE OS is set up, a "config.xml" is generated and this will store all your settings.

Upon boot up, the EDGE bypasses the Nintendo DS menu and brings you to the EDGE GUI. The first thing that I noticed is that it resembles CycloDS Evolution. Like all other flash carts, you are given three menus; Games/Homebrew, Media and Settings/Misc.

What is nice about the EDGE is that it doesnt show all the files on the MicroSD. It only shows .nds files which also sorts them alphabetically. Press the "X" button or tapping the top right corner, you can view three different display modes; View: ROM (title and icon), View: File (title, icon and file size) and View: List (name of file). Pressing the "A" button or tapping the file with your stylus will load the game. Pressing "B" or tapping folder icon at the top will bring you back to the main menu.

Media will load Moonshell and this will allow you to play your media files whether it be music or videos.

In the settings menu, you can enable or disable cheat codes, change brightness setting, language, skins and boot a Slot-2 device (PassMe). The skins option allows you to place skins into the "EDGE/skins" directory on the MicroSDHC and cycle through them whenever you want. It is compatible with CycloDS skins..go figure. To perform a soft reset, you'll have to press A+B+X+Y+L+R.

Both DS games and homebrew all loaded without a problem. EDGE supports auto-DLDI patching for homebrew games. EDGE also uses 512k save for all your DS games. The save files are identical and compatible with some other flash carts. So if you're the type to try different cards, you dont have to worry about losing your game saves or having to start all over.

Conclusion : Overall, the EDGE Card DS SLOT-1 MicroSDHC flew under the radar. The cart, design and name is all new but the GUI looks exactly like a clone of CycloDS Evolution (could it be the same people or just another group copying files?). All games and homebrew loaded fine. With the support for MicroSDHC, this is a card to look at if you're interested in purchasing a flash cart.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 10th, 2008 at 15:33.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

thats an awesome looking box.

i just buy this edge with 2 gb microsd. well at the moment i haven't found any error or such things. my only problem is with the homebrew apps such as nds mail and ds organize which has something to do with my lack of skill in configuring the wifi and other. well at the moment i still learning (noob here)

Gotta say this is my favourite card out there at the moment. Great reliability, great GUI and a competetive price.

DCEmu Newbie

Very good card.I have no problem with it.Very Good quality,price,compatibility,updates.I have it with Cyclods-best cards on market.if yu dont need RTS and SLOW MOTION etc:get Edge-its everywhere now,very cheep.ps:box design rulez!!
    Last edited by Arek24; May 10th, 2008 at 01:12.

DCEmu Newbie

A very good card for the price.

Only issue I've found is a 128 game limit in the file list of the game browser (OS 1.4).

The solution is to spread your games across several folders, otherwise the last games added will not be listed.

It only become an issue since I upgraded to a 16GB microSD

DCEmu Newbie

I also use this flash cart but I'm having problem loading the nintendo ds browser. It requires to insert the Memory Expansion. What should I do? Do I need to buy this memory expansion?

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZekeKiel View Post
    I also use this flash cart but I'm having problem loading the nintendo ds browser. It requires to insert the Memory Expansion. What should I do? Do I need to buy this memory expansion?
    If you want to use the browser...yes.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

Is there other options? Like patching the .nds rom.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi mate, it seems to be not possible due to more memory resources need to be taken for DS Browser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information