Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare developer Sledgehammer has revealed that it worked on the cancelled third person Call of Duty titles for up to eight months.
Indeed, so impressed was Activision with the Vietnam-themed 10-15 slice of the game that the team created that it offered the studio to jump ship over to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 to help out the then-troubled Infinity Ward, which was enduring an exodus of talent in the wake of the Zampella and West scandal.
That, however, meant time was called on the project.
“We had spent at least six to eight months on it. I was really getting into the story. We had some really cool mechanics,” Sledgehammer co-founder Glen Schofield told Game Informer.
“We had the underground tunnels. We were definitely getting some Dead Space moments. I don’t mean that from sci-fi, I mean that was a war that was scary for the [American soldiers]. They didn’t know if in the jungle there was a booby trap, or what was in those tunnels. And there were thousands of miles of tunnel underground. It was a hidden war, right? Everybody thought the war was in Vietnam, but it was in Cambodia and Laos. So we were telling a cool story.
“When [Activision] needed help on Modern Warfare 3 we were the first ones to get it because we had already proven ourselves within six months that we could dive in, learn the lore of the game, understand the rules, and build something that was different.”
Fellow co-founder Michael Condrey added: “Let’s be frank, Infinity Ward was going through some transition. We were growing with a triple-A team here, and the chance to work on the biggest game at that time and this fiction and space was super exciting for us.
“We would’ve loved to have made [the third-person Call of Duty]. It was in a space that we enjoyed, but how does anything compare to the first-person blockbuster release of 2011?”
Nonetheless, Schofield admits that the concept is one he remains interested in revisiting, stating: “If they ever asked us to a make a third-person Call of Duty game I’d go back to what we were doing.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sledg...ietnam/0132438