Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft rejects Xbox 360 Blu-ray idea

xbox 360 Microsoft rejects Xbox 360 Blu-ray idea

via Games Industry

Microsoft's Xbox 360 group product manager Aaron Greenberg has rejected recent speculation that the company was looking into adding a Blu-ray peripheral to its console following the demise of HD DVD.

Instead the corporation would continue to invest in digital distribution via the Xbox Live service, he told Reuters.

"Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," he said. "We're the only console offering digital distribution of entertainment content."

The HD DVD attachment for the Xbox 360 is no longer in production following Toshiba's withdrawal from the next-generation race.

The news comes just one week after Microsoft's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, told the Mix08 conference that the company was in talks over possible moves for supporting Blu-ray in Windows.

"We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like, and I think the world moves on," he said then.

"Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense," he added, statements which led many to believe that a peripheral similar to the Xbox 360's HD DVD drive could be released later in the year.

However, Greenberg's comments appear to clarify Ballmer's original statements as focusing purely on the Windows environment.

Xbox Live Video Store is Microsoft's bid to distance itself from the need for physical media by offering titles for rental via download, and the company's head of Xbox gaming and entertainment in the UK, Stephen McGill, told GamesIndustry.biz at the launch of the service last year that it was about customer choice.

"For the Xbox 360, from design all the way upwards, it's about consumer choice, what the consumer wants to do," he said last December. "Some will want to do it differently, about personalisation, the user interface, and how they access entertainment."

"HDTVs are phenomenally well-priced at the moment, and a lot will sell over Christmas, so we'll see many more people jumping in the high definition world.

"But then some people don't want to go out and buy a disc or anything, so download rental is more their cup of tea. So it's about choice, whatever you want to do, however you want to get your content."

Meanwhile Sony's PlayStation 3 has jumped in popularity following a price cut last year, and its victory in the Blu-ray stakes could lead to a further 10 per cent jump in sales, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

This week Microsoft confirmed a price cut for the Xbox 360 in response to Sony's recent upturn in sales, making the Arcade model cheaper than the Nintendo Wii.

Xbox 360 don't need the crappy Blu-ray for winning over the PlayStation 3 on this generation.
    Last edited by JKKDARK; March 13th, 2008 at 19:55.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Xbox 360 don't need the crappy Blu-ray for winning over the PlayStation 3 on this generation.
    Just the same, we don't need the crappy 14-year-old-angry-baby fanboy commentary either. Is it possible to for you to post anything with some intellectual merit?

Quote Originally Posted by DCergo View Post
    Just the same, we don't need the crappy 14-year-old-angry-baby fanboy commentary either. Is it possible to for you to post anything with some intellectual merit?
    Why I would be angry if my favorite seventh generation system sold more than the PS3?

DCEmu Newbie

Why I would be angry if my favorite seventh generation system sold more than the PS3?
    Poor diversion, angry baby.

I should hope that the 360 would be selling more, with the head start it has. But it seems the PS3 sold 10 million units 4 months faster than the 360 did. This is troubling considering the 360 doesn't have a strong lineup in 2008, and the PS3 is only closing the gap and has a nice round of games this year.

All those nice 360 sales, I wonder how many are repeat RRoD customers tho.

I should hope that the 360 would be selling more, with the head start it has. But it seems the PS3 sold 10 million units 4 months faster than the 360 did. This is troubling considering the 360 doesn't have a strong lineup in 2008, and the PS3 is only closing the gap and has a nice round of games this year.

Nice round of games? :rofl: Where are the marvelous Square-Enix RPGs? :rofl:

Not only that, but also MGS34 and FF13 are the only big titles being exclusives on PS3 (haha)

Not only that, but also MGS34 and FF13 are the only big titles being exclusives on PS3 (haha)

You forgot Gran Turismo5, Drakes Fortune, Ratchet & Skank, Tekken6...
    Last edited by Baboon; March 14th, 2008 at 12:51.

Dude...not a strong lineup? I hardly call Fable 2, Left for Dead, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tales of vesperia, Too Human, Gears of War 2, Dark Sector, Alone in the dark, R6V2 and countless other games a "weak lineup". Your just as bad as JKK. Until I hear otherwise, the 360 still has the best lineup of this year.

Don't say things without research.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    Dude...not a strong lineup? I hardly call Fable 2, Left for Dead, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tales of vesperia, Too Human, Gears of War 2, Dark Sector, Alone in the dark, R6V2 and countless other games a "weak lineup". Your just as bad as JKK. Until I hear otherwise, the 360 still has the best lineup of this year.

Don't say things without research.
    You forgot GTA IV! ...this is without a doubt the biggest game of the year and will be the killer game on the 360 with all the 'exclusive' MS content! :thumbup:

I'm personally looking forward to what Capcom are bringing out (I know they are not all exclusives but we all know that nothing can yet rival Xbox Live's online gaming): Street Fighter IV, SF2HD remix, Commando 3, 1942: Joint Strike, Bionic Commando etc.

Truly good times ahead!
    Last edited by Baboon; March 14th, 2008 at 12:52.

Sorry, the 360 sux!
    I know people who have had 3 RRoD,WTF!
    Who has to buy a sytem like that tree times?
    360 owners ....
    Microsoft has failed on so many levels,not to mention they're IP theives...

Ya know, last gen xbox was a beast,what happened!?
    It was fairly reliable hardware and was certainly tougher than the phat PS2,hasty releases may be they're downfall.

Really stupid of them not to accept blue-ray,it's better and sucessfull.What do they want everything digital downloads?
    Not a bad direction just bad execution and management.
    I personally don't like spinning disks for storage but am a realist,we need them at our current state.Why not go with the better solution?
    Last edited by NoQuarter; March 14th, 2008 at 13:06.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information