Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Twilight Hack v0.1alpha3a Released - Front SD Card Slot Supported

Blog Entries

Rev Twilight Hack v0.1alpha3a Released - Front SD Card Slot Supported

via wiibrew

The Twilight Hack is currently the only safe, released way to run homebrew on an unmodded Wii.

Changelog

0.1alpha3a

Correctly loads geckoloader code from USBGecko flash

0.1alpha3

Front SD slot is now supported; SDGecko slot support has been removed.
    FAT16 is now supported; you should save your ELF executable on your SD card as "boot.elf".
    RZDJ is now supported
    Added support for Geckoloader stub: If you have a USBGecko installed and have already run the Geckoloader program to install into flash, then the Twilight Hack will try to load that stub if it does not detect an SD card.

Installation
    You will need:

1x Wii
    1x SD card, formatted as FAT16
    1x copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess that has been run at least once
    1x Computer
    1x Some way to read SD cards on a computer
    (Optional) 1x or more GameCube controller
    (Optional) 1x USBGecko
    Inside the zip archive, you will find several savegame files; you will need to choose the correct one based on your version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The easiest way to check your version is to compare the text string which is on the inner cycle of the data surface with the ones below.

RVL-RZDP-0A-0 JPN - rzdp0.bin
    RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN - rzde0.bin
    RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA - rzde0.bin
    RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA - rzde2.bin
    RVL-RZDJ-0A-0 JPN - rzdj0.bin
    If it does not already exist, make a directory called "/private/wii/title/RZDx/" on your SD card; replace "RZDx" with RZDE, RZDP or RZDJ as appropriate. Copy the above file into that directory, renaming it as "data.bin".
    Next, take your homebrew Wii executable, and save it in the root directory of your SD card as "boot.elf".
    Now, put the SD card into your Wii and turn it on. Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii. Find your Zelda save, click on it, and click "Erase", and click Yes. Now, go into SD card, and select the "Twilight Hack" save (the icon says "Wiibrew Loader"). Click copy, and yes. Now, go back out of that menu.
    Insert Zelda, and run the game. Load file A, and walk backwards.
    Explanation
    The Twilight Hack works by employing a lengthly character name for the horse in the game ('Epona') in order to facilitate a stack smash. This gets triggered when talking to the man next to you when you start the savegame as he loads the name to use it in his dialog or upon attempting to enter the next zone, before the man talks to you and reminds you to go the other way to get the horse.

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

This is great news.
    Works on my PAL wii.

This is the start of hombrew for all wii users without hardware modifications or SDGecko.

Simply wii and SD and zelda. Thanks to the coders.

works great cant wait for more homebrew to hit. cant get the megadrive emulator to load any roms but the creator is saying next release will fix a few teething probs.

Default Yikes!

Thought I'd killed my Wii, but a mains reset fixed it

Did all the above and got as far as the Wii crashing spectacularly, with a screen full of start cluster= messages....

Any idea where I am going wrong?

Default Should have added

I'm running this on an unmodded wii, just off an SD card - not sure if the genesis emu and tetris I tried even work this way, or whether they will need updating to work on this refined hack..

Edit: Got Tetris working - by renaming the executable tetris.elf to boot.elf in the root of the SD card

Edit: Reading the genesis emulator readme, looks like this is running in Gamecube mode as a dol file, so its going to need sdload or another method until the author is good enough to bring out a version running in native wii mode.

Hope my mornings work helps some!
    Last edited by craig vaughan; March 14th, 2008 at 12:05.

DCEmu Newbie

...and from here on out, the Wii homebrew scene will explode. It's a long shot, but maybe it will surpass the PSP in homebrew?

Default Ladies and gents...

Let the fun begin - the dawn of an new era is upon us. The trickle is about to turn into a flood.

The emu scene gets another much needed boost as retro gold is welcomed into the Wii fold...

Man I need to go get a Wii!
    They're always sold out in my area
    Maybe I need the internets for my fix.

This looks good,keep it up please!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by craig vaughan View Post
    ...Reading the genesis emulator readme, looks like this is running in Gamecube mode as a dol file, so its going to need sdload or another method until the author is good enough to bring out a version running in native wii mode...
    Haven't tried the Genesis emulator yet, but can't you use the Dol to Elf Converter tool to get this to run?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information