Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Fight Back Against Piracy

Blog Entries

NDS Nintendo Fight Back Against Piracy

It seems Nintendo are now fighting back against piracy on the Nintendo DS, heres the details:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates shipped to North American retailers today, and interestingly enough include a new copy protection scheme that attempts to discourage players from using unauthorized copies of the game on certain DS flash cards.

People using the R4 and M3 flash cards will be greeted with a “Thank you for playing!!” screen after twenty minutes of playing.

http://akayuki.com/2008/03/12/ffcc-r...py-protection/

Looks like Nintendo are at last having a go against piracy on the DS, thankfully it doesnt harm homebrew.

Great decision, Nintendo. Pirates should not enjoy this beautiful game.

DCEmu Newbie

More than fair, and to be honest, it should be on alot more DS games. Except the shovelware. That no one would want to play anyway

DCEmu Rookie

lol. It's like they are playing a game with pirates. They allow them to play 20 minutes worth before taunting them with this screen. Go Nintendo!

taunting little w***kers :rofl:

seriously, i find that brilliant, :thumbup:

hehe that's fun, you play the game for 20 minutes and you think, MAN this game if fun!

and then you see the screen, thank you for playing.. hehe that would really piss me off, as i use r4 but thank god i don't play the FF games..

EDIT: but it's the best one i've seen so far

much more fun than completley blocking the game to be played on R4
    hahahah
    Last edited by ____anders____; March 16th, 2008 at 18:19.

DCEmu Pro

i think the game sucks anyway... i think that nintendo should come out with a handheld that has upgradeable firmware that way when they release new pirating devices all they would have to do is release a firmware update. and u should only be able to play ur games after u get the update, but the update would have to be free. im going to stop talking now. :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

are you guys living under a rock?

this has been hacked 3 days ago so no use laughing.

And this was news like 1 week ago, obsolete

DCEmu Newbie

This isn't anti piracy, it's a bug in the M3 and R4 firmware. They're pretty much the same cart anyway right? That's why it only happens to those 2 carts. When an update is released, the bug will be fixed. This is why the game still works on other carts like the Cyclo Evo. There is NO way to identify whether a cart is commercial or not.

EDIT: Also, what KaliKot said too is true. I'm surprised this news hasn't been posted on here, since this site usually has everything updated very quickly.
    Last edited by Pandonetho; March 16th, 2008 at 18:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    This isn't anti piracy, it's a bug in the M3 and R4 firmware. They're pretty much the same cart anyway right? That's why it only happens to those 2 carts. When an update is released, the bug will be fixed. This is why the game still works on other carts like the Cyclo Evo. There is NO way to identify whether a cart is commercial or not.

EDIT: Also, what KaliKot said too is true. I'm surprised this news hasn't been posted on here, since this site usually has everything updated very quickly.
    Actually, this isn't a bug in the firmware. It's not just R4/M3Simplys that not affected. Other cards have the same issue.

Also, the Moogle of Death screen does not appear at the end of the credits. It only shows up when played in one of the affected cards. Hence, that's why it's an anti-piracy measure and not a bug.

Coincidentally, the newer cards are not affected. It plays just fine on my M3Real. Internal memory cards seem to be unaffected as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information