Thread: Review: DSTT DS Top Toy TTDS SLOT-1

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

NDS Review: DSTT DS Top Toy TTDS SLOT-1

DSTT DS Top Toy TTDS SLOT-1
    Manufacturer: DSTT
    Site: Buy from BambooGaming
    Price: $36.00

Overview : Essentially based off the NeoFlash Top Toy DS (TTDS), which supports SDHC 256Gbit, plug and play, support cheat code and soft reset!

Features:
    • DSTT = 100% NEO-DSTT, Same OEM products, only the brand Different .
    • DS original cartridge size, Slot1 interface.
    • Plug 'n Play, easy to use, just Drag 'n Drop file from PC to flash memory card.
    • No FlashMe, built-in NoPass, and the GBA cards in slot2 can be started directly.
    • Supports CleanROM, No covert.
    • 100% SDHC TF and standard TF compatibility up to 4GB (4096GByte) flash memory card.
    • High speed SDHC. Supports any TF card speed with no lag in game,
    • Save directly to TF card, not to onboard chip, Never lose your saves.
    • Automatically detect and generate save type.
    • Supports Moonshell and homebrew. DLDI auto-patching.
    • Supports FAT/FAT32, works on any OS.
    • Supports Action Replay cheat and edit the code base.
    • Built-in energy-saving design.
    • User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation. Supports Skin DIY.
    • Supports the Hot-Key SOFT RESET.
    • Supports the WiFi game, DS Rumble Pak, DS Browser.
    • Supports Download play.
    • Supports 4-scale-lightness adjustment (DS Lite only).
    • Free SDHC high-speed reader, Ultimate copy documents.

Quality/Usability : So with the R4DS being highly sought after and the constant backorder, gamers having been searching for other alternatives. I just so happen to stumble upon a new product called DSTT. Some people stated that it was better. Is it better than the almighty R4DS?! Little did I know, the DSTT is actually the same product as the NeoFlash Top Toy DS just rebranded and a whole lot better looking. But to be fair, instead of just copying and pasting the NeoFlash review, I'd start fresh.

My review sample did not come with packaging, instructions, GBA carts/packs or software CD. All I received was the DSTT cartridge and a very small microSD USB Card Reader. There is another package offered that includes GBA Expansion Pak, Rumble Pak and even a USB Nintendo DS Charger. That is the first time I heard a flash cart manufacturer throwing in a USB DS charger. The TTDS didnt even come with one.

Like all flash carts on the market, the size is the same as the original DS cartridge. Unlike some carts on the market, you do not see a protruding chip coming out from the sticker. The DSTT is white and has a spring loading mechanism. The microSD Card Reader itself is very very small compared to others included with different flash carts. But due to the size, removing the microSD can be a pain in the ass.

Set up is the same like any other flash carts. Download the latest system files from DSTT's website, load it onto the microSD along with some games and homebrew and you're ready to go. As mentioned above, since the DSTT is rebranded from the NeoFlash TTDS, you can use NeoFlash's system files on the DSTT and vice versa. You can place your files anywhere even in folders and it will be read. Unfortunately, it does not put your files in alphabetical order but in the order you placed your files in. You're also able to add your own background image which is known as skinning. The included skin is just an image of DSTT's logo.

DSTT uses Action Replay codes for your cheats. To enable cheats, simply press the (+) button or SELECT and choose the cheats you wish to enable for play. You can also enable and disable cheats in-game as well simply by pressing the corresponding buttons: L+R+START+UP (enables cheats); L+R+START+DOWN (disables cheats)

If you're in a game and want to go back to the DSTT menu system, simply press A+B+X+Y+L+R in-game and it will exit the game and goes straight to the menu system.

There is no dedicated Media button like some flash carts such as the M3 or R4, so the Moonshell will be listed with your games/homebrew files.

Speaking of homebrew, all homebrew games are automatically DLDI patched. Just select your homebrew and it will automatically patch it and run your game. No longer do you have to manually do it yourself.

Having tested the DSTT with a 1GB microSD (Japan) and a 4GB microSDHC (Japan), I can say that there was no problems with games that I threw at it. Granted there are so many DS games available, I didnt have a chance to test them all but for the majority that I did, I did not have a problem. All games are saved immediately and directly to your microSD in a .sav format similar to that of the R4 and M3.

Conclusion : Overall, the DSTT DS Top Toy TTDS SLOT-1 may sound new, its actually a rebadged NeoFlash TTDS and different packaging. The DSTT was very sturdy, clean looking and worked how a flash cart should work. The spring mechanism for the microSD was very smooth. Although the microSD Card Reader is probably the smallest I have seen and is cute, removing the microSD can be a pain in the ass due to its very small size. Those looking for an alternative to the R4 or any other flash carts, take a look at the DSTT, it is starting to gain attention and may be the product to look out for.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 19th, 2008 at 16:55.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

lol...

i payed £300 for one of the 1st gen ones (it looked like a brick!)

man these have come far

the lack of any kind of folder support + no ability to chose your background from a selection is the only thing holding this card back from a 10/10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by acid_snail View Post
    the lack of any kind of folder support + no ability to chose your background from a selection is the only thing holding this card back from a 10/10 for me.
    You can put your games in a folder. Thats what I usually do and you can add your own background images. Majority of all the newer cards allow you to do this.

DCEmu Newbie

Hey Bandit is there any other site [ in the us] that i could shop from cuz man i ordered an Acekard from www.bamboogaming.com and man they got the money and the site disappeared so i dunno if i got scammed .

BambooGaming is still there and never left. Contact them. They are not a scam.

DCEmu Newbie

well the site is back and well im just waiting for the product to arrive and thx for the info was kinda of scare :/

Question

Out of curiosity, can the DSTT support larger systems other than 4GB? Or does it not really support SDHC?

Thread Information