View Poll Results: What is your favorite 16-bit console?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Sega Megadrive/Genesis

15 57.69%
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

11 42.31%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SNES vs Megadrive

Default SNES vs Megadrive

Just a brief description:

Megadrive:
    Released in 1989, it was a big advantage over the NES, and had many great games, but sales werent so great until the introduction of Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991.
    Sales were neck-to-neck with the SNES for about 3 years until AAA games like Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country really proved what the SNES was capable of. Even after it began to show it's age, it still had some untapped power, and games like Ristar and the Vectorman series were released and really showcased the Genesis' power. It had two redesigns over time The 3rd one being compact, rare, and incompatible with the add-ons). It was discontinued in 1997 and is considered to be one of the best consoles ever made.

Sold best in: Europe and Brazil

Recommended Games: Sonic series, Phantasy Star Series, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Vectorman, Street Fighter II (Better than the SNES version imo), Strider, The Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe, and many more.

Add-ons include:
    Sega CD - Mega CD in Europe and Japan. A CD add-on released in 1991 (1992 outside Japan), sales were never very high, but this add-on features many classic gems still unreleased on modern day consoles. It featured one redesign(the first was a CD addon that was put under the Genesis Model 1, the second was one that was put on a docking station with the Genesis model 2). It was discontinued in 1995.

Recommended games: SONIC CD, Lunar Series, Snatcher, AVOID FMV games, they're absolute $#@!.

Sega 32X - A 32-bit adaptor released in 1994 that featured a library of about 45 games. A lot of these games were ports of Genesis games with enhanced colors and a few more sound effects (e.g. Mortal Kombat II). The 32X was deemed unsuccessful by many companies before it was released because the upcoming release of the Saturn and the fact that it came out after the Saturn in Japan. It was discontinued by 1996, with many cancelled titles and Darxide being it's last release.

Recommended games: Mortal Kombat II (graphical improvement over the Genesis version), Knuckles' Chaotix (probably best titile on 32X), Virtua Racing DX, Star Wars Arcade.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, released in 1990 (1991-1993 out of Japan), is considered Nintendo's best console yet. It's first major hit, Super Mario World, put it right up there with Sonic because of the fame and popularity Mario had gained during the NES days. SNES showed that it was superior to the Genesis in it's early days, but Genesis still was in the lead. In 1993, Nintendo approached Argonaut Games, who then produced the Super FX chip which showcased the SNES's power even more with basic 3D and lush 2D environments. And, as mentioned above, was tied with Sega until about 1994 when many more great titles were released that showed the SNES was more promising at the time. It featured one redesign (known as SNES 2 and bundled with Mario World 2), and was discontinued in 1999 and is considered by many (especially in the US) to be the best console ever made.

Sold best in: North America and Japan

Recommended Games: Mario World 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Starfox 1 and 2 (Japanese betas surface on the internet), Final Fantasy(IV-VI), Star Ocean, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 (I hate 3, i dont know why), Megaman 7-X3, Kirby Superstar.

Add-ons:
    Sony's SNES CD addon. Cancelled in 1992 which prompted Sony to make the Playstation.

Phillips' SNES CD addon. Also cancelled. But Phillips did get a special license from Nintendo to make Zelda and Mario games, which are considered to be the worst in their respectable timelines.

BS-X: Available in Japan only. Nintendo broadcasted many games (i.e. Link to the Past's sequel and many Zelda 1 remakes) through satellite to these users. These games are considered to be the rarest and most hard to find versions of games (F-Zero 2, Excitebike feat. 16-bit Mario characters) considering the fact that they were never released again.

That was a brief review of these wonderful consoles (written by Eviltaco64!).

Now tell me, what is your preference? Vote now!
    Last edited by Eviltaco64; March 20th, 2008 at 00:07.

Sega Megadrive/Genesis is what I picked, I liked Sonic 3 and Knuckles a lot.

It was a tough choice, but I chose the Genesis.
    It was what I used to play a lot more than the SNES in my younger days.

I really dislike the SNES, and love the MegaDrive

Easy choice, Sega FTW.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Yeah, I loved the Sonic series a lot back in my younger days and can still pick up a controller and play those games while Mario World has seemed kind of...stale? for many years now.

Megadrive without a doubt - Purely for one reason.

Sonic The Hedgehog.

The man speaks the truth!

Acorn Electron User

I'm going the other way on this and plumping for the SNES. Yeah sure Sonic was good but come on, the SNES had Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Starwing/Starfox, International Superstar Soccer, Super Probotector/Contra 3, Street Fighter 2, Legend Of The Mystical Ninja etc. Did you try playing SF2 on the Megadrive 3 button pad? Pah I say, pah!

At the time SF2 on the SNES was pure awesomeness. I remember piling round to a friends house after school to play it and I was totally blown away, it was like having an arcade in your house! That coupled with the games I mentioned above swing it for me big time. Oh well, each to their own

snes has my my vote....
    reason was cause of the games it has...

especially metroid

Quote Originally Posted by beetroot bertie View Post
    I'm going the other way on this and plumping for the SNES. Yeah sure Sonic was good but come on, the SNES had Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Starwing/Starfox, International Superstar Soccer, Super Probotector/Contra 3, Street Fighter 2, Legend Of The Mystical Ninja etc. Did you try playing SF2 on the Megadrive 3 button pad? Pah I say, pah!

At the time SF2 on the SNES was pure awesomeness. I remember piling round to a friends house after school to play it and I was totally blown away, it was like having an arcade in your house! That coupled with the games I mentioned above swing it for me big time. Oh well, each to their own
    Street Fighter games on SNES didnt rub me the right way. I just didnt like the music. Also, it was really easy to get used to pressing start to switch between punches and kicks..OR you could get the 6-button pad...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information