Thread: UK game retailer breaks official PSP release date

Blog Entries

Default UK game retailer breaks official PSP release date

Source - JoyStiq

Activision PSP launch titles and UMD movies have been sighted on the shelves of a central London Virgin Megastore ahead of the official European September 1st release date of the PSP. The trio of Activision launch titles including Spider-Man 2, Tony Hawk’s Underground Remix and Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade were sitting alongside UMD movie Old Boy, so it’s possible that Sony hasn’t been strict enough in giving retailers instructions on when to start selling. Personally, I think retailers in the UK should rebel against Sony and just start selling them whenever. UK users have had to wait long enough for the console (which will probably be identical to US/Japanese models). The system of releasing consoles in Japan, then America and finally Europe is tired and pointless. That’s one area where Microsoft will be innovating with a global release of the Xbox 360. In other news, Sony has confirmed that the Oxford Street HMV will be open past midnight on the 31st August so insomniac gamers can go pick up a PSP, finally.

DCEmu Newbie

I don't think retailers should rebel against sony because wouldn't that make sony less egger to get their products over the pond?
    I admit it would suck to have to wait forever to get a psp and even being hunted down for importing is bogus but seriously, sony and the uk need to work together to get products out faster.

f sony they need the money from the uk and the people who really want the psp already have it and paid less for it. everyone gets the xbox 360 at the same time thats how it should be.

DCEmu Newbie

I agree with Slayer2psp, we that wanted the PSP have had ours since Jap release and I personally paid £40 less than the UK release price (and yes, that included shipping cost). So why shouldn't we be able to get games and movies ahead of the official release date?

DCEmu Newbie

I just wanted to register to mention that selling those games is perfectly fine before the system comes out. They have done it with every system that i know of. stores are alowed to sell third party(activision in this case) games before launch date, they did it with the n64, ps2, xbox, gc, and even with the ds. we were selling the third party games about 3 days before the system came out for the ds at target in the us. The only ones that are not suppossed to be sold before the date are the first party, in this case sony, games.

not to sure about the umds tho.

Thread Information