Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft GPS receiver

Default Microsoft GPS receiver

Hi

Seeing that densika has gotten Hollux GPS receivers working with the PSP, I wanted to ask if it would be possible to use the Microsoft receiver seen here : http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/...p?pcode=MS0311 (of course with the proper adapter) instead of the Sony one on the PSP. As you can see, it is half the price of the Sony and seems to me a great alternative...if it works. It's supposed to work off of a USB port on a computer, so I don't see a problem with it being hooked up to the PSP. I've searched but there seems to be absolutely nothing regarding this topic on the internet, so I'd like some advice as to whether this would work or not from the DCEmu community.

Thanks if anyone can speculate or give me a straight answer.:thumbup:

Uh oh...Just read that the USB doesn't supply any power. The gold contacts on both sides of the USB supply the power...So I guess this would not work right?

Thanks

DCEmu Newbie

Apart from that, USB GPS will not work even if it has its own power as PSP does not have the driver.

Good price for a GPS and PC software package though.

Ah, okay. Makes sense. I guess I will have to find a Sony GPS for cheap or rig up one of those Hollux ones. Thanks very much for the help, r2000.:thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

Just wanted to let you know that I have been able to make the Microsoft GPS work in the past, it's been so long since I Wired it I don't have the pinout or anything, but the unit is the Pharos GPS-500 that was sold with the Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007. I was outa the scene for a good year or 2 and now im needing to rewire it for use on a Slim, so Once I finnish it, I will let you guys know how it went, and try to attach some pics as well.

*Edit, also just FYI though the interface it comes with is USB, the device it's self is serial. There is a USB to Serial converter in the original cable that comes with it, I just chopped that off and wired it into a project box with power from a few Double A Batterys and an on/off switch, worked like a champ while I had my FAT PSP, now that I have a Slim I dug it back out again and I'm planning on rewiring it in the next few days if I can get the info I need about the pinout off the net. Wish me luck =P
    Last edited by Twobee; April 2nd, 2008 at 09:34.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi, I am trying to get the pinouts for the gps-500 (microsoft streets and tripS) but have been unsuccessful so far. I want to use it as a serial gps for my nikon D200 camera. Any help would be appreciated.

When using other types of GPS specifically made for special interconnectivity between devices, like dasturi's case, He wants to use a gps-500 as a serial GPS for his Nikon D-200. Now just to be clear, Nikon has their own proprietary standards, so even if a method of 'hacking' it to work is available, My suggestion is to expect the connectivity to be very messy, unstable, and possibly damaging to the host device.

With regards to Holux GPS devices etc, the connectivity and use for the PSP program MapThis! are made possible with easy hardware using NMEA protocols etc, and with out the worry of specially built devices for certain application, they work exceptionally well.

Anything is possible, Im not trying to put anyone down, but lack of community motivation and public request is a definite turn-off. In this case, Deniska has stepped up and has brought the community up, and Im sure he is still working on all sorts of new advances.

Your best bet is within this community, to hunt for someone to help you out with it, mainly because its the hotspot for all GPS-PSP users (and not to mention the first hit on google) (:

Regards,
    AlexRoxUrSox

PS: IM BACK!

DCEmu Newbie

is it possible to hardwire a pharos gps500 straight from the receiver unit, without any of the cables??

DCEmu Newbie

Would the pharos need to be wired to a serial or could it be tied into the USB?

Default gps pinouts

Hey guys,

I figured out the pinouts to the GPS-500 unit (a.k.a. the Pharos/Microsoft GPS) and posted them on Ubermodder. The unit outputs TTL serial that needs to be converted to RS-232 serial, from there I installed a simple usb to serial converter.

Hopefully that helps out. Let me know if you have any questions!

Very nice forum btw, always been a great help to me. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information